IGNORED

Recent upgrade to Atari 8 bit platform

GamebaseST

Hi folks

I'm fairly new at this 8 bit stuff having missed the amazing Atari platform during my early years (over here it was all C64 and Speccy back then), and after spending the rest of the time on SS/TT/Falcon and then PC's I've finally managed to get around to catching up on what I missed.

I have a whole bunch of 8 bit machines around me now, including 3x 130XEs (2 are upgraded to 320k and have MyIDE interfaces, the other is mint-in-a-box and will stay that way). I also have a 1200XL with various mods, and I'm just waiting on my 3rd Warp+ OS 32-in-1 upgrade. I had some fun soldering together a home-made S-Video cable for my 130XE's, I still can't believe this was possible on a machine this old without modification, incredible.

What amazes me is just how much support there is out there for this loved retro platform. At some point I hope to get stuck in with some development of my own, every book I read on the subject just makes that itch even more irrisistable.

I plan to have at least one of my 130XEs ready for our stand at the 4 day Retro show over here in the UK next February. I'll have plenty of demo images burned onto the hard drive (using the brilliant new image manager by Shawn Jefferson). We should bring a very strong Atari presence to the show since the Gamebase stand will be merged with myAtari.net in one huge corner of the show.

I've had tons of fun with this platform already and I've hardly scratched the surface, so here's to another 10 years of support and development for the humble A8 platform. I salute you guys.

Rob