IGNORED

Trak Ball

Senex

I recently bought an Atari trak-ball, and it needs help.

The wires have been resoldered and they are not the standard colours I'm used to on a 2600 joystick.

The left fire button works, but the cursor just goes where it wants to with Missile Command and Super Breakout. Can anyone help me on this? :?

Hello,

The track ball will not work for Super Breakout. You must use the tennis paddle controllers for that game. For Missle Command make sure the button on the side of the trakball is set to Joystick mode, or it will not work. The proprotional mode for the trakball was never supported by Atari. There is a Hack by Thomas of Missle Command that does support the proportional mode. You might want to pick up a copy.

Cheers,

Actually, analog mode _was_ supported by Atari -- on the 5200, 7800 and 8-bit Atari. Only Thomas' "Missile Command TB" hack uses the real Trak Ball mode on the 2600. Everything else has to be used in Joystick mode.

That said, it still brings a new dimension of playability to many 2600 games. I'm _so_ much better at Missile Command, Centipede and Crystal Castles with the Trak Ball. I also love paying Spitfire Attack with it. :)