IGNORED

'Pac' Prototypes

Metal Ghost

Hello all....looking for some information regarding the two 5200 Pac-Man prototypes: Jr. Pac-Man and Super Pac-Man.

About a month ago I received my Xbox Live Arcade disc and, much to my own surprise, have found myself playing Ms. Pac-Man quite a lot. Ironically it has been a tie for my attention between Halo II and Ms. Pac-Man (what diametrically opposed games!).

Anyway, I thought that this may be a good time to take the plunge and get myself a 5200 with all four Pac versions. Now, I have no delusions that I will find an original prototype of Jr. and Super, but....I would love to find re-produced copies.

Question: Doesn anyone know if Jr. Pac-Man and/or Super Pac-Man have been re-produced and released?

I'm kinda' surprised that it was Atari and not Namco to be honest. It's Namco's intellectual property, not Atari's. I mean hell, hadn't the 5200 been declared 'open' a long time ago?

But I don't even want to get into that whole can of worms. I'm almost glad to hear it BECAUSE that means that there are reproductions out there. I just need help finding one (or actually two, as I would like both Jr. and Super). I don't know if these are available on a multi-cart, but really I'd prefer the individual cartridges (though I know that beggars can't be choosers :-)

Can anyone help? Private mail me if necessary.

I would suggest that you get the Atari 8-bit computer version ports of these games (identical to the 5200 versions, as they're essentially the same machine), and play them on emulator on your Xbox. Atari has not, at least for the time being, gone after 8-bit comptuer copyright violators. :)

Hello all....looking for some information regarding the two 5200 Pac-Man prototypes: Jr. Pac-Man and Super Pac-Man.

About a month ago I received my Xbox Live Arcade disc and, much to my own surprise, have found myself playing Ms. Pac-Man quite a lot.  Ironically it has been a tie for my attention between Halo II and Ms. Pac-Man (what diametrically opposed games!).

Anyway, I thought that this may be a good time to take the plunge and get myself a 5200 with all four Pac versions.  Now, I have no delusions that I will find an original prototype of Jr. and Super, but....I would love to find re-produced copies.

Question: Doesn anyone know if Jr. Pac-Man and/or Super Pac-Man have been re-produced and released?

You don't happen to work for Atari, right? :ponder:

There are no Pac-Man prototypes and there ain't never was, neither!!! :|

You don't happen to work for Atari, right?

How often do people use their first post to ask about prototypes that...um...don't exist? Yep, you won't find them here. Or anywhere.

How often do people use their first post to ask about prototypes that...um...don't exist? Yep, you won't find them here. Or anywhere.

:?

:ponder:

Hah....I was going to post a reply in the forum thread myself, but I thought I had done the job through individual messages.

No, I don't work for Atari, Infogrames, Namco, or the FBI. Hmm, CIA maybe? :-)

But seriously, I am just a collector who would love to get his hands on all four 5200 versions of Pac (all of which SHOULD HAVE been released).

As far as this being my first post, yes, I am one of those 'long time watchers, new user' type of person. At least to this site. I've been posting on other sites (Armchair Arcade, Xbox365.com) for a while now.

if I remember right, I've been playing these games since the eighties? Didn't somebody make them compatible with the Atari computer systems?

I know I have them on floppy in my closet! And they were good too! Big time shame..

With jr. Pac being so much fun and so arcade like, I'm suprised that Mappy never made it onto a Atari system..

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...
if I remember right, I've been playing these games since the eighties? Didn't somebody make them compatible with the Atari computer systems?

That would have been "Glen the 5200 man". He ported the above mentioned, as well as Centipede and Space Dungeon and a few others to the 8-bit.

In more recent times, someone has ported Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. from the computer side to the 5200 side. Has there been any others done recently? I am a truck driver, and am not home to check the boards as much as I would like to any more... :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

Been a while since I've been here, but as I currently work for Namco of America, and just recently had a discussion with our licensing dept. over the ownership of the 2600 PAC-MAN, I can shed a little light on this.

Infogrames bought the old Atari's IPs, which means they own the carts and probably the exact code in it (unless it was based on Namco code, which is unlikely given how crudely the 2600 games approximate the arcade games). However, the rights to all PAC-MAN games and ancillary materials revert to Namco once the license runs out. That's why Namco owns Ms. PAC-MAN and Jr. PAC-MAN even though they weren't created by Namco itself. You'd have to see the exact contract the old Atari signed with Namco to know exactly what's what, but that's the general rule.

Therefore, while Infogrames probably outright owns the code for the various PAC-MAN games Atari published, they have absolutely no right to do anything with them because their license with Namco long ago expired. Namco probably owns the look and feel of the 2600 PAC-MAN, but if we do we'd probably just shove it under a rug and put a desk on it!

This is why you don't see licensed games sold in these retro arcade packs, etc. Coleco licensed Donkey Kong back in the day, but if whoever owns the Coleco rights now wanted to put out a Coleco emulator with Donkey Kong, they'd have to go back to Nintendo and beg for the rights.

So in other words, Atari owns the code, but can't put the carts out because they don't own the Pac-Man license anymore, and Namco can't put out the carts because they own the license, but they don't own the exact code. Atariage can't do anything with it either. Interesting.

Yeah, that more or less sums it up. I'd have to see the specific contracts, but in general that's the way it works. It IS possible that even the code ownership went to Namco (since the IP is ours) but it's not likely.

Bear in mind that I'm not a lawyer and I don't have access to the original contracts, so I'm speculating based on what I know.

• 1 month later...