IGNORED

Krokodile Kart Kwestion........

Blackjack

I want to go ahead and order the Krokodile, but there is one question I have, it may be dumb, but I don't want any surprises.

Will I be able to load up a bunch of games that are different sizes at the same time? I know it supports all the different bankswitching modes, but can I have all different kinds loaded onto the cart at once?

Actually, Armin is adding the ability to support multiple types of bankswitching methods for the multicart modes. For each mode above 4K, you will be able to load the previous bankswitching types, although they will take the full amount of space for that "size". For example, the F8 mode (8K) mode will also allow you to load 4K games, but they will take 8K of space in the multicart. In 16K mode, you can also load 8K and 4K games, but they will each take up 16K. And in 32K mode you'll be able to load 32K, 16K, 8K, and 4K games, but they'll each take up 32K. The F8 (8K) mode will be very useful, since there are plenty of 8K and 4K games out there.

I don't know if Armin has gotten this to work yet, so I don't want to say this is a definite feature right now. Even if he isn't able to get this to work, being able to create multicarts restricted to a particular game size is still very cool, since you can save these multicart images and load them on demand. So you can create different multicart images of all your favorite 4K games, another for your favorite 8K games, and so forth, and quickly load them into the Krokodile Cart through the Krokodile Commander software.

..Al

Thanks for the info Albert, if he could get that working it would seal the deal for me..... well, I'll probably buy it anyway, I just have to spend a couple days talking myself into it.  :)

i know how you can talk yourself into it faster!!!!

just click below and keep reading it over and over ;)

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...products_id=291

As Albert said, I was investigating if it is possible to mix different

cartridge sizes on the multicarts.

There is some good news and some bad news:

1K,2K and 4K games can be loaded into ANY multicart. But you can only choose one bankswitching mode for the multicart.

That means:

if you compile a non switched multicart, you can select 1K,2K and 4K ROMs

if you compile a F8 switched multicart, you can select 1K,2K,4K and 8K ROMs

if you compile a F6 switched multicart, you can select 1K,2K,4K and 16K ROMs

if you compile a F4 switched multicart, you can select 1K,2K,4K and 32K ROMs

But you can NOT mix 8K,16K and 32K ROMs

1K,2K and 4K games can be loaded into ANY multicart. But you can only choose one bankswitching mode for the multicart.

That means:

Just curious,

Did you actually have to change anything in the cartridge itself for this too work? In an ideal world, I'm guessing the only change is in the PC software.

Thanks,

5-11under

• 2 weeks later...

That means:

Sorry for the dumb question, but can the cart be recompiled, i.e., if it's compiled to be a F4 switched multicart, could it later be recompiled to a F8 switched multicart? Just like the programming in of games, can the recompiling be done over and over again?

It'd be really nice if someday one of you programmer types took us creative free thinking Mac user types into consideration. There's a surprising amount of us in Atariland. :wink:

I'd love to get one of these, as it sounds like a great project with a lot of great applications, but don't need to waste $100 on another great concept that becomes an expensive paperwieght for us Mac users. I'll probably be passing on this as I did the Maxicart, CC1 and CC2.

It'd be really nice if someday one of you programmer types took us creative free thinking Mac user types into consideration.  There's a surprising amount of us in Atariland.  :wink:  

I'd love to get one of these, as it sounds like a great project with a lot of great applications, but don't need to waste $100 on another great concept that becomes an expensive paperwieght for us Mac users.  I'll probably be passing on this as I did the Maxicart, CC1 and CC2.

Forgive my ignorance but Mac's only have USB these days, right? :ponder:

It'd be really nice if someday one of you programmer types took us creative free thinking Mac user types into consideration.  There's a surprising amount of us in Atariland.  :wink:  

I'd love to get one of these, as it sounds like a great project with a lot of great applications, but don't need to waste $100 on another great concept that becomes an expensive paperwieght for us Mac users.  I'll probably be passing on this as I did the Maxicart, CC1 and CC2.

Mine has SCSI. That would be where part of my screen name came from ;) :ponder:

Forgive my ignorance but Mac's only have USB these days, right?  :ponder:

Yes, but you can get USB to Serial devices. Andrew Davie has stated that he might do a Java version of the Krokodile Commander software, which would allow a broader range of platforms (hopefully including OS X, as that is what I use full-time) to take advantage of the Krokodile Cart.

..Al

Mine has SCSI. That would be where part of my screen name came from ;) :ponder:

I meant as opposed to a serial port, you smartass. :D