IGNORED

Paddle Controller Question

ClassicBoy

I did a search on this but couldn't really find anything...

For the first time, I tried to play some paddle games like Super Breakout and Warlords on my 7800. However, the paddle controllers wouldn't work. The fire button works but not the rotation. I tried the same games and controllers on my six-switch and four-switch and everything works fine.

Does anyone have any idea why paddles wouldn't work on a 7800? Am I missing something simple?

Thanks!

Bad Stella chip in 7800? 7800 uses 2 chips for video (Maria and Stella) and Stella chip handles the paddle function. There are schematic in AA archive somewhere you could use i f you're handy. Check the caps and resistors from the controller port to the chip, if they are shorted or open, replace it. If they are fine, and the Stella chip is socketed try swaping it from a 2600 and see if that helps. Most 2600 are socketed but many 7800 I've opened are not.

Thanks, guys!

I probably won't open up the 7800 and try to fix what's wrong as it plays 7800 games just fine as well as all the 2600 joystick ones. I have a few 2600s that I can always play the paddle games on.

I was hoping that I was missing something simple with a simple answer like, "Paddles don't work on the 7800, Knucklehead."

Bummer that my 7800 isn't fully functional, tho.

Also, I don't have the driving controllers so I know I'm using the correct ones. Thanks.

Bad Stella chip in 7800?  7800 uses 2 chips for video (Maria and Stella) and Stella chip handles the paddle function.  There are schematic in AA archive somewhere you could use i f you're handy.  Check the caps and resistors from the controller port to the chip, if they are shorted or open, replace it.  If they are fine, and the Stella chip is socketed try swaping it from a 2600 and see if that helps.  Most 2600 are socketed but many 7800 I've opened are not.

I could try this. At first read it seemed like a lot of soldering might be involved. I'm not that great at soldering. Maybe I will open it up and check it out.

Thanks.