IGNORED

Trying to Get old 2600 Up and Running

Early2600Adaptor

Hello,

I got the new "all in the joystick" version for Christmas.... and thought why not try to get the "real" 2600 running. Dusted it off from the basement - figuring its around 28 years old - with no luck in getting it to run (the kids are bummed - they like the new one, but hunger for more).

My unit appears to be fine. Its an (old one -?) with the 6 switches (power, color B/W, left difficulty, right difficulty, game select, and game reset). I took the unit apart, cleaned it a bit, checked the Power plug soder and the VHF input. All seem fine. I did strip the head off one of the screws putting it back together, but the screw is still threaded in, not loose.

I have the original A/C adapator. It does get warm when plugged in (good?).

I am running the VHF plug into the Game/TV switch box (original). It is from here I'm a little lost. There is a "Connect to TV VHF" with a flat wire ending in to U shaped metal connectors (for screws). Then there is a "Connect to Antenna" side of the box with two screws. In the "Connect to Antenna" side I have attached a converter - a flat wire with the two U shaped metal connectors which turns into single long pole antenna type connector. This is attached to a long antenna cable and then into the VHF antenna plug on the TV.

What happens... nothing. No descernable difference, power on, power off, Swith to Game or TV.

Hopefully someone here can tell me if I'm wiring this thing correctly before I start buying things to trouble shoot (A/C adpator being high on hte list).

I have also tried it on an older TV with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

David

I am running the VHF plug into the Game/TV switch box (original).  It is from here I'm a little lost.  There is a "Connect to TV VHF" with a flat wire ending in to U shaped metal connectors (for screws).  Then there is a "Connect to Antenna" side of the box with two screws.  In the "Connect to Antenna" side I have attached a converter - a flat wire with the two U shaped metal connectors which turns into single long pole antenna type connector.  This is attached to a long antenna cable and then into the VHF antenna plug on the TV.

Sounds like you have this part a bit backwards.

You need to connect the "Connect to TV VHF" terminals to your TV's vhf antenna connection. If your TV uses coaxial f-connectors, you will need this: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...ct%5Fid=15-1253

The "Connect to Antenna" screws on the switchbox are where you reconnect the antenna/cable that used to connect to the TV before connecting the switchbox. Assuming your antenna/cable lead us coaxial f-connector, you'll need this: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...ct%5Fid=15-1140

Assuming you tried it on all 3 channels (2,3,4), start with the TV/game box. Was it swtiched all the way over to game? If so, the box might be bad. You can get a new one from Radio Shack or just get one of these:

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...&products_id=42

Here's what the newer swutchboxes look like:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...ct%5Fid=15-1268

They're much better than the old ones that hooked up directly to the +- antenna input.

Are you plugging it into yout cable in? If not and its one of the older TV/Game switchboxes, pick up a TV/VCR Matching Transformer, assuming you don't already have one in a junk drawer somehere and put it through your cable in.

The other 2 possibilities are the AC adapter, even though you said it gets hot, the part that actually plugs into the VCS may be damaged; or possibly the wire coming out of the VCS which you can desolder and replace relatively easily.

Great Help!  Thanks!

now if I can just get the controllers working - lol.  All the joystick games seem to have the fire button stuck, and the knob games all react very flaky.  I will clean and hope that helps.  Are there replacement controllers to be bought?

Here is a good how-to on de-jittering paddles.

http://anvilfilms.net/ATARI/Paddles/paddle1.html

I have a ton of joysticks (all kinds of flavors) in stock, send me a PM if you need new ones. :)

Great Help!  Thanks!

now if I can just get the controllers working - lol.  All the joystick games seem to have the fire button stuck, and the knob games all react very flaky.  I will clean and hope that helps.  Are there replacement controllers to be bought?

sega genesis controllers will work on your 2600 if you cant get them working.

Great Help!  Thanks!

Here is a good how-to on de-jittering paddles.

http://anvilfilms.net/ATARI/Paddles/paddle1.html

I have a ton of joysticks (all kinds of flavors) in stock, send me a PM if you need new ones. :)

That's the way to do it!

I also have electrical contact cleaner with conductive oil. That stuff works ve-hery well. I originally bought it for my crossfader on my DJ mixer but I use it for everything now. I've used it on my paddles, my old school headphones (they have sliders on the speakers), my telephone, even my laser pointer! This stuff just rocks my socks.