IGNORED

An Authentic 2600 Showpiece

Great Hierophant

I have an Atari 2600 jr. and two third party controllers. But I don't feel this captures the true essence of Atari gaming. To me, I would want to see a wood-grain Atari 2600. I would prefer a 6 switch model. I want two CX-40 joysticks. I however will stop short at using a true 2600 power supply (my SNES's power brick works just fine), and I will not use a TV/Game switch because it degrades the the image quality of my cable picture (poor enough as it is.)

When non-gamers look at an Atari 2600jr., the machine' low profile and somewhat unfamiliar look makes them shrug. But when they look at a woodgrain console in all its majesty, it commands their attention.

You'd have to snip off the barrel jack and splice on a 3.5mm pin. Not pretty, but effective. Plus, the SNES power supply is 10v -- nothing the voltage regulator in the 2600 can't handle, but I get nervous when using off-voltages on systems all the same. Also, I always feel like using a non-Atari peripheral (or more specifically, one explicitly made for an entirely different unit) somehow degrades the experience. :-)

I've always liked the 2600jr myself. It's nice and sleek, designed to look like an '80s game console. The 4 and 6 switch woodgrains look like some kind of bizarre '70s stereo equiptment or something. But in the end, the '70s style is far more recognisable.

As far as 1980s Atari game consoles go, I'd rate the 7800 first for it's great look, then, the 2600jr, and then the 6-switch 2600 and last, the 5200. I'm rating the 5200 last just because it's enormous, gargantuan size.

I forgot to say that it was Radio Shack's SNES adapter replacement, with a two-prong female jack on the end for an adaptaplug. I just found a suitable adaptaplug and set the plug to center positive polarity. I have my eye on a restored six-switcher, and it comes with an official AC adapter.