IGNORED

Anyone here likes Ghostbusters?

Damon Plus

Yep, i have it! Had it back in the day on the 2600 and Spectrum and whilst the VCS version is far superior on the graphics front and music the Speccy version had the worst speech ever! reee schlimmd ooo (he slimed you!) I think the little Atari's version is pretty good actully once you get the hang of placing the plasma guns.

Yep, i have it! Had it back in the day on the 2600 and Spectrum and whilst the VCS version is far superior on the graphics front and music the Speccy version had the worst speech ever! reee schlimmd ooo (he slimed you!) I think the little Atari's version is pretty good actully once you get the hang of placing the plasma guns.

Hmmm I loved it on the C-64.

Never owned it on the Atari 2600.

I do recall from pics of it was pretty bare bones tho graphics wise.

I'd have to fire it up in an emulator to see if it plays as good as I remember.

Same for me. I loved the C-64 version for a while. I played the emulated 2600 version and it's not as good. The C-64 version wasn't even that great of a game to begin with, especially when David Crane was in a rush to make it (he was getting married) and he used an existing thing he was working on to base the game around. I guess we're lucky it's as good as it is.

I´m thinking on buying it (long story), and it seems a good game to have. A bit confusing at first, but after a couple tries it´s an addictive game, even if it´s a bit easy.  

Anyone here likes this game?

I loved it on the C= (the voice syntehsizer was incredible for the time!), also had it for the NES and loved it there. I have it on the Atari 2600, and it's really good as far as the limitations of the VCS go.

The map selec screen graphics are good, and the "ghost fighting" screens when you arrive at the "scene," but the driving scenes aren't up to the rest of the games. And the "shop" screens - UGH!

Be sure you get the instructions from Atari Age or else you'll be like me, stuck on the "Shop" screen for days on end trying to figure out how to get to the main game. Also easier on the 6 switch than 4 switch since you have to use the difficulty switches to control aspects of the actual play.

I think it's too easy and too repetitive. I maxed it very easily, but it took a long time to get to 999,999 (about 8.5 hours, IIRC) It took me several tries because my JR kept registering 2 times when I hit the select button at the end of the round and the game would start back at zero. :sad: I finally finished it on my 7800 so I could get around the problem of that sensitive switch. I had a thread about it called Ghostbusters Woes a while back that tells the whole story. It is worth having in your collection!

I had the Apple II version growing up. It wasn't bad, the voice at the beginning was creepy though, I'm still not sure what it said (it sounded like "Oh Come On. Hahahaha"). I would play through now and then, but once I was able to buy all the cool stuff, the game lost its charm.

I don't know if other versions had this problem, but I can remember that if you had the ghost trapped between the two beams and the space was tight (and the ghost was bouncing franticly between them), when you pushed the trap button your beams would turn off and the ghost would immediately dodge the trap. Most of the time I would end up just leaving a very wide area for the ghost and timing the trap to hit the ghost as it circled around. Not sure if that's actually the way you were supposed to do it or not.

The C-64 version wasn't even that great of a game to begin with, especially when David Crane was in a rush to make it (he was getting married) and he used an existing thing he was working on to base the game around

Interesting, I never heard that before. I wonder what the original game he used was going to be?

Tempest

The C-64 version wasn't even that great of a game to begin with, especially when David Crane was in a rush to make it (he was getting married) and he used an existing thing he was working on to base the game around

Interesting, I never heard that before. I wonder what the original game he used was going to be?

I don't remember if he actually said. I'll scan in the article and post it here as soon as I can.

OK, here's that article from the March, 1985 Electronic Games magazine:

http://www.randomterrain.com/images/scan7e...g1985-03p59.png

http://www.randomterrain.com/images/scan7e...g1985-03p60.png

I can scan in pages 56 and 57 which is an article just about Ghostbusters (no interview) if anyone really wants to see them. It would be tomorrow or the next day before I could do it though.