IGNORED

Multiple questions...

n8littlefield

So, my father in law just gave me all his old games and systems because he heard that I was looking to get a few of the systems that I used to own. So, now I am the proud owner of a NES, SNES, and 2 Atari's. The Atari's however, have some issues.

First, they are both 4 switch, one is all black, one is woodgrain, not sure if that's relevant or not.

The woodgrain one, preferably, is the one I'd like to end up using. The woodgrain has a cord for rf, but I don't have the box. So, I either have to get a new one at radioshack or mod it, which I'm considering, I'm relatively handy with soldering iron... If I do this, and money IS an object, what is the best one to use, I downloaded the PDF for Ben's and it looks pretty straightforward, are there better options for the same $$?

The woodgrain one, however, has no reset switch, or it's broken off in the system far enough that it cannot be seen.

Can I take a switch off the black one and replace it on the wood one?

Also, I have no controllers, but read that Genesis one's work? Is that true? If so, I can use those until the summer flea markets start up.

I am dying to play this thing, it came with, among other games, Tapper!

Thanks!

Can't help you on the soldering questions, but as for the others:

The woodgrain one, however, has no reset switch, or it's broken off in the system far enough that it cannot be seen.  

Can I take a switch off the black one and replace it on the wood one?

Yes, the 4-switch woodgrain and black consoles are the same inside, and it would be fairly simple work to disassemble a switch in one and put it in the other. No soldering/desoldering required, in fact. Just make sure you don't lose the all the little pieces inside.

Also, I have no controllers, but read that Genesis one's work?  Is that true? If so, I can use those until the summer flea markets start up.

Yes. I believe it's the "B" button that works as the fire button for the Ataris and Commodores.

There are automatic TV switchboxes available. Check your favorite electronics store (Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.). They will default to one source (such as cable TV), but then automatically switch to a second source (such as a video game console) when a signal is available.

There are automatic TV switchboxes available.  Check your favorite electronics store (Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.).  They will default to one source (such as cable TV), but then automatically switch to a second source (such as a video game console) when a signal is available.

Automatic switchboxes will not work on older systems because their signal is way too weak. While they are fine for the NES and SNES, the VCS needs a manual switchbox.

You need either this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...ct%5Fid=15-1268

or this:

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...&products_id=42

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F011%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1267

Any opinions on this?  I'm mostly looking to get by until I can afford the time and $$ to mod the system, also I had to mod until I know it's working...

You'll be wasting your time and money if you try and use that for the Atari systems.

I like the idea of just swapping the guts of the two for the switches issue...I'll have to try that.

I know eventually I'll be doing soldering, since I really want to end up with composite output. I just wanted something I could use in the meantime, to make sure the system actually works. I may pick up the manual switchbox just to try it, and go from there.

I may just assume one of the two will work, and pick up the stuff to mod. Assuming I can swindle an extra soldering iron off someone for the weekend, I can't imaging it would cost more than 12 bucks or so...

There are automatic TV switchboxes available.  Check your favorite electronics store (Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.).  They will default to one source (such as cable TV), but then automatically switch to a second source (such as a video game console) when a signal is available.

Automatic switchboxes will not work on older systems because their signal is way too weak. While they are fine for the NES and SNES, the VCS needs a manual switchbox.

Signal, weak or not, has nothing to do with it. Systems that work with automatic switch boxes (NES, SNES, Genesis, etc.) put voltage on the RF line that powers/triggers the switcher.

Well, given I'm already opening the cases, I think I'm going to do a mod. No one has really said that they don't work, and I would just do the coax adaptor, but then to use the tv I would still need an a/b switch, so it's just as much of a hastle as a normal game switch box.

So, hopefully, this weekend will be fun with solder (also, fun with NES 72 pin replacement part!) and I'll have 3 working systems!

• 1 month later...

So...here's an update leading into a new question...

With tax return $$ I decided to work on getting the Atari's up and running ( I had been satisfied playing the NES/SNES so I waited). I bought a gameswitch figuring that I would make sure at least one system worked prior to buying the mod equipment.

Neither work.

So I bought a new AC adaptor - the woody worked, the vader seems to have a loose power switch causing power to come and go. The solution would be to use the woody - but its reset switch is snapped. It doesn't look to be as easy as "unscrew switch". Can anyone tell me how to take the reset switch off vader and put on woody?

As a side note, I bought a Genesis this weekend and by searching the forum here found a link to the AV cable, and cheap. This is easily the most helpful message board I've ever seen. In just a week, I'll be playing Aladdin and Ecco!

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F003%5F010%5F011%5F000&product%5Fid=15%2D1267

Any opinions on this?  I'm mostly looking to get by until I can afford the time and $$ to mod the system, also I had to mod until I know it's working...

You'll be wasting your time and money if you try and use that for the Atari systems.

I bought that switch and it works just fine on my VCS. Why do you say it wouldn't work?

I bought that switch and it works just fine on my VCS. Why do you say it wouldn't work?

If that automatic switchbox is giving you good results then it is most definitely an exception to the rule. No one was trying to be misleading.

You might still give that RCA adapter a try. It's cheap, and short of doing a mod, it gives the strongest cleanest signal you can get out of your VCS.

the vader seems to have a loose power switch causing power to come and go.

I had this happen to me. It's a pretty easy fix. If you look at that part where the power plug inserts to, you will notice a spring activates a brass or copper tab that, when the plug is inserted, pushes the spring-pushes the tab to make the connection. Pull the plug out, and the spring lifts tab away thus unconnecting. What I did was take the spring out, and streched it a bit. It was TOO compressed, and was not making proper connections. The spring is easy to get to, because there is a litle plastic window (access panel if you will) that pops off. Try that.

As far as Ben's Mod...I did that and it worked great. I put together a "companion guide" to go along with Ben's instructions that might be helpful. Click "downloads" below.

Thanks anyways...I did Ben's mod - it works beautifully - now I just need to get the down button to work...I've been really busy this week, so over the weekend it's getting my attention.

I think if I simply cannot get the down to work, I'm going to move the mod over to my other Atari and see what happens. I put a different power switch on it, it seems to work, although a bit flaky, I may have more luck working with it...