IGNORED

Text adventures?

liquidcross

Does typing in a combination of the letters "L", "E", or "O" to stop a missle launch count as a text adventure? Okay, probably not.

I've never been a big fan of text adventures, but I'm sure if there was a demand for it, making a game like this for the 5200 would be relatively easy (compared to action games). The disadvantage of the 5200, of course, would be no keyboard to type in commands.

Do any even exist on the 5200? Or are there any other adventure-ish games out there? I'm still waiting for Adventure II...I mean, Quest for the Golden Chalice...

You could always try to get a copy of Meebzork, which is as close as you're going to get (I think) to an RPG for now. Irata's Quest sure does look promising, though. :)

Might be a little time consuming.  Just imagine the horrors of trying to play a text adventure using the 5200's keypad. I'd imagine it would be simmilar to telephone text msging.

go north = 4-666-#-66-666-77-8-44

:P

It wouldn't be that hard. Someone managed to put together 2 pretty good text adventures for the 2600 which uses only 1 button:

Dark Mage

and

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

It just takes some creativity. I think a text adventure for the 5200 would work out pretty well utilizing the keypad. The author could easily create an overlay template that people could download and use.

Might be a little time consuming.  Just imagine the horrors of trying to play a text adventure using the 5200's keypad. I'd imagine it would be simmilar to telephone text msging.

It wouldn't be that hard. Someone managed to put together 2 pretty good text adventures for the 2600 which uses only 1 button:

Dark Mage

and

It just takes some creativity. I think a text adventure for the 5200 would work out pretty well utilizing the keypad. The author could easily create an overlay template that people could download and use.

I'd much rather see a hybrid graphic adventure along the lines of Gunslinger for the A8s or Dracula for the Lynx, where players point-and-click on simple text commands. It retains the feel of text adventures while helping to expedite gameplay.

Not if you had one of these. :)

Allan

post-187-1105048884_thumb.jpg

Not if you had one of these. :)

Allan

WTF - You mod the 5200 to read all the keys? :)

Atariwriter 5200+

It wouldn't be that hard.  Someone managed to put together 2 pretty good text adventures for the 2600 which uses only 1 button:

Dark Mage

and  

It just takes some creativity.  I think a text adventure for the 5200 would work out pretty well utilizing the keypad.  The author could easily create an overlay template that people could download and use.

I'd much rather see a hybrid graphic adventure along the lines of Gunslinger for the A8s or Dracula for the Lynx, where players point-and-click on simple text commands. It retains the feel of text adventures while helping to expedite gameplay.

Neither method would work very well for the old school stuff like any Infocom text adventure such as HGTTG. :P

Not if you had one of these. icon_smile.gif

Thats pretty sweet. Tobad it doesn't workout special 5200 modifications. :(