IGNORED

The classics never die!

Room 34

I just had a couple of old college friends over tonight for our semi-annual game night. (Amazing we can't find time to do it more often, especially since I sit right next to one of them at work! But I digress...)

One friend brought his XBOX over and we played Fight Night 2004 and Halo 2, plus several rounds of crash mode in Burnout 2 on my GameCube (not to mention my vindication for years of FPS misery by my thorough trouncing of them in multiplayer Metroid Prime 2). But of course, we also had to pull out some classics.

XBOX man used to have an Intellivision as a kid (he was one of THOSE people :ponder: ) so I granted his wish to squash me miserably at Major League Baseball. (He kept talking about whether or not he'd remember how to play it, but of course he wasted me because I had NEVER played it! This is the first time I've ever played a 2 player game on my Inty!)

Anyway... to the point of all of this. One timeless classic that got just as much attention as the modern games was, of course, KABOOM!

More and more I am of the opinion that this may just be the best 2600 game, in terms of lasting value. It is so entrancingly intense, and there is absolutely nothing else like it out there.

Which got me thinking... with analog thumbsticks standard on modern consoles, do you think a modern reinterpretation would be possible? I'm not thinking a Space Raiders-style abomination here. More like Alien Hominid... quirky hand-drawn 2-D animation style... more visual detail, perhaps but the same simple and intense gameplay of the original.

Which got me thinking... with analog thumbsticks standard on modern consoles, do you think a modern reinterpretation would be possible? I'm not thinking a Space Raiders-style abomination here. More like Alien Hominid... quirky hand-drawn 2-D animation style... more visual detail, perhaps but the same simple and intense gameplay of the original.

Hmmmmm, PS2 homebrew. Tempting. :ponder:

In the spirit of this thread, I offer this link:

http://www.rwdgames.com/games/1_game.php

Special to me, since I did just about all the graphics and animation for the thing. I thought it was pretty fun working on an overblown version of Kaboom.

Sadly, it's a Windows game and I'm an Amiga user, so I have never actually played the game I helped create.

Kind of off topic but sort of on it as well..

One of my favorite freeware games for the pc is Kablooey. It uses the mouse for control but it plays great. It very obviously is Kaboom w/ powerups.. and I think you can even post your scores online to compare.

screen3.png

One of my favorite freeware games for the pc is Kablooey. It uses the mouse for control but it plays great. It very obviously is Kaboom w/ powerups.. and I think you can even post your scores online to compare.

Hey, the creator of that game is Shane R. Monroe. He used to run a Blitz Basic Web site. The first version of that game was made with Blitz Basic.

Hey, the creator of that game is Shane R. Monroe. He used to run a Blitz Basic Web site. The first version of that game was made with Blitz Basic.

Yes! I actually 'kind of' know Shane.. (been speaking to him on a one to one basis on IRC for years).. and he's always pimping Blitz :lol: Great guy, great game :)

Yes! I actually 'kind of' know Shane.. (been speaking to him on a one to one basis on IRC for years).. and he's always pimping Blitz :lol: Great guy, great game :)

Cool. Yep, Blitz needs lots of pimping since you still can't buy it at places such as Amazon.com.