IGNORED

Caverns of Mars?

joeybastard

I was playing Caverns of Mars on my 800Xl last night and got to wondering.  Why wasn't this made for the 5200 too or a 2600 version for that matter?  I really like the game and its copyright is Atari so I wonder they didn't port it cross platform.

It was ported over by either kenfused or classics and is available on the multicart classics offers.

It is a great game. As for why Atari didn't port it over back in the day, it may have been a simple question of timing. When was it released originally? Atari more or less gave up on the 5200 by 1984.

Nevermind, I just checked over at Atarimania and it lists the relase of this of 1981 which would have put it right in the mix for porting over to the 5200.

Does this one appear on any rumor lists? Maybe Tempest will see this thread and be able ti shed some light on this.

Gosh I love Caverns of Mars! I had it on cassette back in 1982 and would play it on my 800. It would take almost 5 minutes to boot up from cassette playback which didn't bother me any .. the music and the image would suddenly show up on the screen. Now I have the cart of course!! :D

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Caverns of Mars wasn't actually developed by Atari. Here's a section from atarihq:

Once upon a time, young Greg Christensen built electronic gizmos like amplifiers and sound generators from scratch. Ready to take on another challenge, he bought an Atari 800 computer with his savings. After Greg taught himself the basics of programming, he decided to have a go at designing a computer game.  

Six weeks later, the high school senior had developed Caverns of Mars--a game in which the layer flies a spaceship down through the twists and turns of a cavern while battling enemy craft and blowing up fuel dumps. Why not, he thought, send the program to Atari Program Exchange (APX) in Sunnyvale, Calif. and see what happens?  

Two months later, Greg received a call from an Atari executive who raved about Caverns of Mars. Not only did APX accept it, the company wanted permission to market the game as one of its upcoming products. In the all of 1981, Caverns won an APX contest. The prize: $3,000.  

Now an 18-year-old college freshman, Greg received his first quarterly royalty check this summer--for $18,000! Atari has told him he might eventually earn as much as $100,000 in royalties from Caverns of Mars.

I suspect that Caverns wasn't even considered for a 5200 release because it wasn't a hot license and possibly also because it wasn't developed in-house. APX offered a lot of good stuff developed by homebrewers, such as the Excalibur RPG.

I was playing Caverns of Mars on my 800Xl last night and got to wondering.  Why wasn't this made for the 5200 too or a 2600 version for that matter?  

Thinking about it, Doesn't River Raid 2600 have many of the elements required for CoM, albeit upside down?

APX offered a lot of good stuff developed by homebrewers, such as the Excalibur RPG.

Excalibur wasn't a homebrew at all, it was designed by a team led by Chris Crawford at Atari. The group was working on artificial intelligence at the time and also developed a game called Gossip (which was never released officially).

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Thinking about it' date=' Doesn't River Raid 2600 have many of the elements required for CoM, albeit upside down?[/quote']

Sort of, CoM goes both up and down since you have to escape the cavern alasobackthe weay you came.

@Nova - Thanks, I didn't know it was an APX program. That explains a lot.

it really is a shame there is nothing like apx today...

Ahmm! Atariage! and others.

Anyway APX distributed their programs on cassette which took up to 5 minutes to load into the Atari computer. A cassette drive is all I could afford then. I seem to remember that floppies were available from APX also.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA