IGNORED

My 2600s' difficulty switches are cursed!

Room 34

(Yes, that apostrophe's in the right spot.)

Last year I "shelved" my original 4-switch 2600 from 1982 because the left difficulty switch had stopped working. I move to primarily using a Sears 6-switch I had acquired about a year before, because it was in pristine condition (not that I wanted to trash it, but I figured it would work reliably). Last night during the gaming festivities I mentioned in another thread, I discovered that the right difficulty switch on this unit is also flaking out!

So, if this has been discussed in another thread or an article somewhere, point me to it. Otherwise, does anyone have suggestions on dealing with faulty difficulty switches, both the kinds on the 4- and 6-switch models?

(The 6er's switch is not completely dead... just temperamental. If you wiggle it to JUUUUUST the right spot it MIGHT stay on "novice" mode for the entire game. I don't care how much of an "expert" you claim to be, the "A" setting on Kaboom! is madness!!!!)

Right... that's what I want some advice on; how do you clean them?

Personally, I use a syringe and drip 2-3 drops of isopropyl (sp?) alcohol underneith the sliding part, directly onto the contacts. Then move the switch back and forth for about 20 seconds and that usually does it.