IGNORED

Just got my Atari! Ordering some homebrews from the store..

King_Salamon

Hi everyone! As the title says I just got my Atari. Bought it from someone yesterday with about 25 games. I had an Atari but sold all my games (over 200 at one point at least) and systems when we were planning on buying a home. We did that a year and a half ago and now I am starting over in my hunt for games!

I was looking at the list of the impressive games in the store and was wondering if I could get some suggestions. I was considering Star Fire, Skeleton + and Jammed. As my collection of games is rather small I'll need these games to last me a while until I can make another purchase (Hopefully my next order will be in March... MAYBE Feb).

This is an awesome place and I'm glad to be back into Atari Gaming! This time I'm in for the long haul! (Note- I've never been on this forum... what my last comment meant was that I'm excited to have an Atari again!)

Climber 5 looks awesome... I'll add that to the list and make a decision. As for Thrust+, I'm saving that one for the next order (I plan on getting the pedal controller with it then).

I love the idea of being able to get NEW Atari games from a store. I recall a few years ago there was a fellow who sold copies of games (for the impossible to find kinds of games) but AtariAge has NEW games that look very professional (even more so than some companies in the 80's!)... way to go AtariAge!

I've been to Atari2600.com before but I don't remember finding any homebrews there, just carts. They were kind of pricey too as I recall but it is a business and I can respect that.

Neotoke? Does this person have a website or a place where I can see some screenshots and get more information? Neotoke if you read this please let me know about your work. I'm always eager to play NEW games! :)

Yes, buy Climber 5, Seawolf, Marble Craze, Star Fire, Backfire, and probably a few more I am forgetting! Homebrews are great and you can't go wrong with pretty much any one you choose (Just be sure you have a pally, if you get Mental Kombat)

PackratVG also sells new Homebrew and Hacks.

And don't be afraid of hacks, some of them are so good, they are like new games. :) :) :) :) :) :)

I made a decision. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. This is what I've come up with for my first order:

1-Star Fire (Looks soo cool.. and seems to have a decent following ie the patch thing that was done etc... must be good!)

2-Jammed (Puzzle type game that I may get the wife to even try out... man I wish I could get ahold of Edtris or whatever it was... that was fun!)

3-Venture II - The Abysmal Abyss... I enjoyed Venture so another version should be awesome! (Now that I have my Atari I'll soon be looking for a Colecovision and Venture). Some people have suggested trying a hack and here goes... it's a hack of a game I really enjoyed!

Now, I've had some great suggestions and if I had a jitter-free set of paddles I would have grabbed SCSIcide... I recall reading a post with steps to cleaning a set of paddles. Maybe I'll do that and add it to my next order. Regardless I'm considering the following for my next order:

1- Climber 5 - Soo much interest in this one... must be another classic!

2- Thrust+ - Another great game... will get the footpedals with it.

3- SCSIcide - if I can get my paddles working.

Thanks again everyone for the info! I'm ordering today and can hardly wait! New games! :D

and we have a member here called Neotoke who also sells homebrew games that are very good.

They are not homebrews, they are hacks.

:P :ponder: :roll:

Yes. I am from the dark side of Atari. :evil:

If you like Venture be sure to check out:

Wolfenstein

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t...t=50942&start=0

Venture with 3rd Floor added

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t...t=57773&start=0

You can check out all my hacks at my website

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-neotokeo2001

Neo... I took a look at your site and there's more neat stuff there! I'm looking forward to buying lots of stuff over the next while!

Thomas... I agree about reading the manuals. Especially for these homebrews! I mean why buy the homebrew (which comes with some beautiful manuals from what I've seen) and never look at the manual? I'll look forward to some reading with the new games!

the manual may be one of the best parts of Venture II.

Funny, looking back at Venture II and then to Wolfenstien, Venture+ (with the third level added). Things just keep advancing and getting better and better. :)

Neo has a lot of great hacks. He'll be getting the spotlight for several in this year's Stan Awards Ceremony. Look for it at the end of this month! :)

Now, I've had some great suggestions and if I had a jitter-free set of paddles I would have grabbed SCSIcide... I recall reading a post with steps to cleaning a set of paddles.  Maybe I'll do that and add it to my next order.

SCSIcide is a great game, but I would hold off for a bit at this point. The reason for this will soon become clear. :)

..Al