IGNORED

TENNIS 'LE TENNIS ?

Draikar

Because it was a general Canadian release, not specifically a French-Canadian release.  Canada having French as a second official language (much like Spanish is in California) all packaging and labelling features French and English wording.

I know that, And hate that Spanish is first language in California in some places but WHY say TENNIS 2 times if spelled the same way !? Stupid things like this make my head hurt... I KNOW ITS A LAW TODAY TO LIST French and English wording in parts of Canada BUT its spelled the same on the cart. :dunce:

Because it was a general Canadian release, not specifically a French-Canadian release.  Canada having French as a second official language (much like Spanish is in California) all packaging and labelling features French and English wording.

I know that, And hate that Spanish is first language in California in some places but WHY say TENNIS 2 times if spelled the same way !? Stupid things like this make my head hurt... I KNOW ITS A LAW TODAY TO LIST French and English wording in parts of Canada BUT its spelled the same on the cart. :dunce:

Actually,

Its law in Canada that everything has to have a French representation and the wording has to be atleast the same size as the English spelling. To many French is the native language of Canada and not English - its moe like a 1.5 language vs a 2nd one :)

Most Canadians can read cereal boxes in French and English. I know when I was done reading the English side, I'd flip over to the French...

P.S. Check out Michael Moore's Canadian Bacon starring John Candy for a hillarious take on the French/English label law.

Personally I think the whole French/English law thing is mind-numbingly retarded. I never particularly cared for French in my schooling years and still have never had any particular use for it except on the odd occasion when I'd yell "Fouche toi!" at the television whenever Gilles Duceppe was on it.

In fact, I seem to recall the possibly apocryphal tale of Quebec Language Law vs. General Mills (or possibly Post or Nabisco -- one of the cereal companies) in which the francophone mouthpieces insisted that they would stop importing their products unless they printed French-language first on their packaging. General Mills (or possibly Post or Nabisco) retorted by saying that if this was how it was going to be, then they would print the French language first. On the inside of the packaging.

Whatever. They may have raped the land from the native Indians before we did, but they're still in the vast minority. In fact, if we had to pick a second official language based on a population majority that isn't caucasion, we'd all have seven years of mandatory education in Gujarati.

Whatever.  They may have raped the land from the native Indians before we did, but they're still in the vast minority.  In fact, if we had to pick a second official language based on a population majority that isn't caucasion, we'd all have seven years of mandatory education in Gujarati.

No, I think the 2nd language would be Chinese or Cantonese. I'm pretty sure there are more Punjabi speaking Canadians than Gujarati as well.

No, I think the 2nd language would be Chinese or Cantonese.  I'm pretty sure there are more Punjabi speaking Canadians than Gujarati as well.

I dunno, the Indian population I think is growing to the point of rivalling the oriental. I can't speak for the Punjabi/Gujarati majority, since I'm not particularly versed on the difference (other than perhaps the presence of turbans, and I'm not sure if one wears them and the other doesn't. Typical ignorant Canadian. :-))

Not that I mind terribly; I was introduced not that long ago to the wonders of Indian food. Mmmm... Murgh Malai Tikka. :-)

You want biligualism you should come over here to Aberystwyth (Wales)...

You ask an English person they'll say English is the first language, you ask a Welsh person, and they'll say Welsh is. You have to get used to reading everything twice - for instance, Barclay's Bank here has a big sign saying

"Banc Barclay's Bank" because in Welsh the adjective comes after the noun in cases like this. Of course that also means you have to get used to huge road signs - for instance the "National Library of Wales" also proudly states it is the "Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru". I suspect road sign making is a lucrative business in this country.

All of a sudden "Le Tennis" doesn't seem so obfuscated....[1]

[1] Incidentally, had the game been released in Wales it would have said "Tennis" twice. Really.

Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru?

You're just randomly hitting keys on your keyboard, right? ;)  

Not only does it look random when written, it SOUNDS like random syllables when spoken. Once at an office Christmas party in England (after many pints of dark beer) a Welshman started singing :? . Apparently this was an annual occurence. So I joined in singing random jibberish. Some were amazed, including the Welshman, that I could speak Welsh. Like I said, sounds like random syllables with as few vowels as possible. I still have a souvenir mug "Cymru Am Byth!"

Rydw in yfed cwrw ond unwaith yn y pedwar amser.

( I think that would be the rainy season )

( See if you can find a Welsh translator )

a Welshman started singing :? .  Apparently this was an annual occurence.

Annual? Hourly, more like...

So I joined in singing random jibberish.  Some were amazed, including the Welshman, that I could speak Welsh.

Maybe he couldn't really speak Welsh either.. would you know the difference? :)

Of course I wouldn't suggest doing that round here... Not only do they definitely speak real Welsh round here but there's a large proportion of Rugby players who may object to you extracting the Michael, so to speak.

That said, it could be an entertaining spectacle. :)

Not being a proper Englishman, I have to ask: Who is Michael and why is he being used in place of "taking the piss?"

Heh....

Extracting = synonym of taking.

Michael = Shortened to Mike or, in this case - Mickey.

In case you don't have it over there: "Taking the Mickey" being a politer (and the original, I think) form of what you said. :)

Here ends English 101! Exam next Tuesday....