IGNORED

Found a wild boxed Heavy Sixer please advise

asummers

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I am not a big collector but I've read many of the posts on this forum, reliving some memories.

I am a veterinarian, and while on a house call last night searching for a scared cat I spotted a boxed 2600 in a client's basement. I though, 'Oh that's cool' and complimented her on having a nice atari but then I noticed the stack of Gatefold boxes on top. Then I started thinking, wondering about those original joysticks with 'hex disks' I read about on this forum and asked her if I could take a peek.

The box was almost pristine, resealed with packing tape at the left side. She said it has been sealed for 20 years probably so we opened the side. Appeared complete at first glance with cardboard inserts. I removed one insert, looked at at the joystick inside and there it was, Atari name looking back at me. I promptly closed the box and offered to take the Atari in payment for the day's services. She hemmed and hawed so I offered to spay her cat for free too (I wasn't leaving without that Atari!) and she bit.

So now I have a boxed heavy sixer, 2 original sticks with atari hex disks still attached, joystick are near perfect with no rubber wear and only one stick having minimal paint wear. original paddles and driving controllers, original power supply in original white box. original rf modulator. original bubble wrap on the sixer. gatefold combat, air sea battle, indy 500, starship and a boxed home run.

Missing is the owner's manual, and ???

What else came with it originally? Was there a warranty card?

did the paddles come in a box?

did the rf modulator come in any packaging?

Anybody have any of these missing things for sale?

I have an owner's manual c1978 from my childhood light sixer but i think it would need to be c1977 to be correct.

I was wondering too - with so many sticks with the hex discs missing, is it possible that atari later made the sticks without them (but with the hex cut outs)? the rendering on my 1978 owner's manual shows a heavy sixer but the sticks have no logo but they do have hexagonal cut-outs on top of the handles.

Just wanted to share. If anybody can help me with anything I might be missing to complete this system I would be grateful.

Andy

:o

Holy crap dude, amazing find. I'm jealous; I have a heavy sixer but not one like that, and no gatefold games. I can't speak for how much you "paid" for it but at least it wasn't cash!

I can't answer any of your questions, unfortunately, as my heavy sixer has the box but no inserts, manuals, and no hex discs... but I just wanted to express my shock and awe at your find. In the wild, no less!

Wow... damn nice find, when you consider that basically all you gave up was what your own cost is for the work done. That set there's worth a few bills easy. Indeed, there were supposed to be first-year paddles with it (that have the Atari name and logo in place of "Tennis") and matching driving controllers, a first year (gray) AC adapter, and a standard RF modulator. Excellent haul there. :-)

That was a nice find!

Maybe "AtariVet" would have been a good choice of username.

Do you often have to search for your patients in that way?

I'm not surprised that they hide, if they know that the doc will operate for Atari...

*checks AA member list for family physician's name*

*hides Atari collection in case of ill health*

Thanks for the idea - changed to AtariVet!

We caught the cat and did what we need to - shots, flea control etc. She's a wild cat and terrified of people but these are great people helping her and she'll come around. She had 3 kittens and they are doing well.

They gave me the Atari for what amounts to about $250 of services, I figured after Uncle Sam I've given up about $160 net income. I thought that was fair. It's no $10 garage sale find but I'm happy and my clients feels it was a fair deal. My actual cost was probably $60 or so.

So.. does anybody know if the paddles came in a box, or what else I might be missing?

I'll post a picture soon when I figure out how to do it.

Awesome find! Post pics! You got a very good deal.. if it was about $160 net 'cause it would sell for more than that I'm sure.

@whoever said it: yep.. I had the original 2600 with pack-in controllers. We also h ad Indy 500 with the driving ones. Why did they even need to make seperate ones for driving is beyond me..

I agree, I just got 5 heavy sixer sticks, without the plastic sleeves though, and with no cables, so I just took some common ones, threw some cables on there, jacked the plastic sleeve, and yes they do play better than the common ones. you get more feel for it as well.