IGNORED

Risk ever made?

darkannihilation

I need to talk to him again about that.

Please do! And keep the proto reviews coming! I spent way too much time reading stuff on your site the other night...Tower Toppler sounds like a very cool game. I'm a bit confused by how it works with some TVs but not some monitors, and has different colors on an 800XL than it would on the XE computers...

...all I know is that I have an 800XL downstairs, hooked up to an old TV via the old switch box, and have no idea if tracking down a copy of this game would be worth it due to my setup.

Sorry that I went on a totally different subject here, by the way.

I'm a bit confused by how it works with some TVs but not some monitors, and has different colors on an 800XL than it would on the XE computers...

It all has to do with Artifacting. Artifacting is a trick programmers used to get more colors in a graphics mode than would normally be allowed. The way I understand it works is that you basically cut the color clock in half and end up with two new colors. Since this is an unintentional side effect different revisions of the Atari hardware react differently when it is used (the hardware designers never made it uniform across the different systems). So you'll get different colors on the Atari XL series than you'd get on the Atari XE. I suppose if you could get it to work on an Atari 800 you'd get another set of different colors. You can see this on some commercially released games like Midnight Magic and Lode Runner. On the 800XL Tower Toppler will look just fine.

The reason the game is an ugly patterned monochrome on monitors is that they don’t handle the video input the same way as a TV. I think Tower Topple would look ok if you used a composite connection, but if you used s-video it would be monochrome. This is because the video signal is separated out into Luma and Chroma which kills this color clock trick.

If there's a hardware expert out there who can verify what I just said I'd appreciate it. Hardware is not my area…

Tempest

The reason the game is an ugly patterned monochrome on monitors is that they don’t handle the video input the same way as a TV.  I think Tower Topple would look ok if you used a composite connection, but if you used s-video it would be monochrome.  This is because the video signal is separated out into Luma and Chroma which kills this color clock trick.

That's right, composite video will show you the artifacted colors in Gr.8 mode. S-video won't. Also, my understanding is that PAL does not have this artifact side effect, so PAL users will never see artifacted colors in Gr.8 games. Imagine playing Ultima IV with no color? That's pretty much what all the Europeans did though.

I remember reading, somewhere, the technical mumbo-jumbo on how artifacting actually works, but I can't recall where I saw it.