IGNORED

Atari 2600 Power Supply Question

thegamezmaster

I think the 7805 can only handle at most 12v, correct?  I wouldn't try anything higher.  The amperage won't really matter; that's only how much current it can deliver on demand, and a dead 7805 doesn't demand very much at all.  :-P

Somewhat correct, 7805's are rated at a max. load of 12V/1A ! If the amperage is above 1A on top of the 14.5V, it will most likely melt. LOL

What should this measure when measuring voltage and amps?

The Atari needs 5V for its chips and other circuitry. So it is using a device that is called voltage regulator, that can make 5V out of any voltage that is higher than 5V. The ideal input voltage for the consoles regulator is 9V and that is what the original power supplies have.

There is also a maximum voltage such a voltage regulator can handle at its input. If there is more voltage, it will be destroyed. In general the higher the input voltage is, the warmer the regulator gets until it is destroyed. Different regulators can handle different maximum input voltages. Modern 7805 have a maximum input voltage of 25V. (But i would not rely on that for the old VCS regulator)

:arrow: use 9V and you are fine !

Now to the current. The current in Amps or milliamps just tells you, how much current the supply CAN supply. So the higher this value is, the better.

In theory you cann directly connect an atomic plant with 100 Terra Ampere to your vcs, as long as it produces exactly 9V. The power that is drawn from it will never be higher than the maximum rating of the voltage regulator. If it can supply 1A, there is no way to draw a lot more from your power supply (Some power is lost at the voltage conversion process)

6 switch supplies have 400mA, the juniors have 500mA rating. So If you buy a supply, don't buy one that has less than 500mA. If it has more, it will work as good as the 500mA supply, but it will be more expensive :D

Kroko is correct in that the amount of current the adapter has is not important as long as it supplies enough of it. However, I always remember the max input for any 78XX series regulator was always 35V (as far back as I can remember) max, and a newer (less 5 years old) data sheet here also shows 35V being the max. As for the 2600 surviving that much, I'm not so sure, because a quick look at the 2600A schematic(but not the original 2600 for some reason) shows some stuff (most importantly pin 10 of the TIA!) before the voltage regulator, but I do see a point in the schematic connected to the power jack quoting 15V. So that power adapter dosen't seem that dangerous to me (if it actually is rated for 1000mA or less), considering the voltage will drop 2+ volts on most cheap un-regulated wall-warts after a significant load is applied, most cheap multimeters draw less than a few mA (and expensive ones draw even less). If you are worried you could connect up a 12V dashboard bulb to the adaptor then check the voltage, that should bring things down closer to what the voltage would be if it were connected to your 2600.

However, I always remember the max input for any 78XX series regulator was always 35V (as far back as I can remember) max, and a newer (less 5 years old) data sheet

Texas Instruments UA7805 for example has 25V. It definitely depends on the manufacturer :)

Texas Instruments UA7805 for example has 25V. It definitely depends on the manufacturer  :)

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ua7805.pdf No it doesn't, atleast not anymore... :wink:

However; I have found a 7812 datasheet in my stuff from 1976 that quotes 20V max so it definitely matters how old the device is, and the manufacturer.

I am usually careful about differences between newer and older RF transistors, but I usually ignore really common stuff and ICs thinking they are all the same, I guess I know better now.

Texas Instruments UA7805 for example has 25V. It definitely depends on the manufacturer  :)

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ua7805.pdf No it doesn't, atleast not anymore... :wink:

However; I have found a 7812 datasheet in my stuff from 1976 that quotes 20V max so it definitely matters how old the device is, and the manufacturer.

I am usually careful about differences between newer and older RF transistors, but I usually ignore really common stuff and ICs thinking they are all the same, I guess I know better now.

Ah I think I got it now ! You were looking at page 2 of the datasheet. The absolute maximum rating is 35V. I was using the recommended operating range on page 3, and that is up to 25 V. I don't think it would be a good idea to use a 35V power supply. I am a coward, you know ... :D

So can I use this power supply? I've heard yes and no, yes that plugged in and machine on it will work and I've heard no the machine will xplode! Help Please!

I would err on the side of caution and not use it. My understanding is that the 7805 would probably overheat if you use anything higher than 12v unless you slapped a heatsink on it. Not really worth the risk and effort when all that's really required is to use a lower voltage AC adapter. They're cheap, plentiful, and the simplest solution.

So can I use this power supply? I've heard yes and no, yes that plugged in and machine on it will work and I've heard no the machine will xplode! Help Please!

Go back and reread bjk7382's first response. He is correct, your 2600 power supply is perfectly normal.

Mitch