IGNORED

Another Console From Infogrames/Atari

Jamcat

Being new here, I don't know if this was covered before, so bear with me. :)

When I read a review of the Flashback system at classicgaming.com, it was mentioned that Infogrames/Atari is working on another console. Does anybody have any more info on this? Will it be another piece of crap, Nintendo-on-a-chip system? Or will they make an effort to do a proper, custom designed, plug and play device?

I would love to see a plug and play device, this time styled as a 2600 or 2600 Jr, that would have built-in games but would also let you plug in actual 2600 games as well. That would be so cool.

Or maybe a plug & play system with Lynx games.

I would love to see a plug & play based on the 8-bit 800/XL/XE computer line, but most of my favorite games I played on the 800XL weren't made by Atari. Like Jumpman, Jumpman Jr, Koronis Rift, The Eidolon, and Rescue On Fractalus. So that would be out.

The Flashback was a nice idea, but was kinda pointless seeing as there was Atari Anthology for the PS2 & Xbox consoles.

The only thing bad about Atari Anthology is the glitch in Millipede where the Millipede won't come out and the bees keep dropping. And the only way to bring out the Millipede is to let your shooter get killed so the playfield "resets" itself.

I can't say I've heard of anything in the near future. I've heard it bandied about that Atari may have plans to release a Flashback II system that features a real Atari-on-a-Chip design, thus obviating the need to emulate (poorly) on an NES-on-a-Chip. Other than Infotari's recent announcement of Retro Classics on Nintendo DS, that's about the only thing I've heard.

When I ran to Super Target tonight, I noticed that they had about 40 Flashback units on their shelf. They weren't mixed in with the other Jakks all-in-one joysticks, they were in the videogame replacement controller area. It doesn't look like it sold well for them at all. I'm not suprised, at $40 each. Since the Flashback will still be sitting on the shelves for the next year or two, Infogrames might not want to make another console based on it's sales.

Ah yes, it would be good if they did a custom Atari-on-a-chip design instead of being cheap and going with the NES junk.

Oh, seeing that DS Atari Classics made me sick. I am SO SICK of the trend to "Ghetto-ize" games today. Either with GARBAGE Hip Hop/Rap soundtracks, the ghetto thug looking characters (GTA), or the tagged graphics in DS Atari Classics. It's one thing if they want to "Ghetto-ize" sports games like basketball or football, but when they put crap like that into other games where it DOES NOT belong, then gaming today has gone to hell.

Interesting post. I would love to see Infogrames/Atari come out with a adapter that would let you play 2600 games on your GBC/GBA.

Or at the very least come out with a GBA version of Atari Anthology. Would be so cool to play Gravitar and Star Raiders on the go.

I just wish they would have included Solaris, Secret Quest, and Othello in Atari Anthology.

Its a shame that the games aren't perfect copies, either. I have the Jakks 10 in 1 or whatever, the joystick one, and its pretty good, but the real asteroids on the 2600 is better than the fake one on the Jakks. The real one has the UFO's and the fake one doesn't, or so it would seem. Missile Command is better on the real one too, and playing Breakout with paddles is way easier than with a joystick, which is near impossible, if you ask me. The Flashback might be a better unit, but it is now on sale at Target for $27 bucks or so. My 2600 and about 15-20 games was still cheaper than that on eBay, and way cooler, in my opinion!