IGNORED

Having trouble getting my Atari 2600 to work right...

RickHarrisMaine

I bought an Atari 2600 on ebay a month ago, and whenever I want to play it, it seems like I have to keep turning the on/off switch on the TV, and the switch box in the back (Radio Shack one), and eventually, it works in full color. Usually I get it in black and white, so there must be some loose connection somewhere. I saw on ebay a product you can get that has all kinds of fixes you can make to the Atari, including a thicker video cable with better shielding. Anyways, I have been having a bit of trouble, but once I get it in color, no problems whatsover, except for a kind of flickery screen on the TV. Any ideas from this excellent group?

A poor signal can cause the picture to lose it's colour like that. You might want to replace the video cables or switch box if they're rather old. If they're still relatively new, try them out on a different system (if you have one) to see if the problem persists.

--Zero

okay, so this one I have is a 4 switch one, and I take off the cover of it, check the black/white switch, and clean it with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip? How do I replace the video cable? I've heard that's actually pretty easy too. I just have a history of being a bit ham-handed at these sorts of things. I don't suppose there is a way to make the Atari work with S-video or composite, is there?