IGNORED

Sokoban?

davidcalgary29

Puzzle games piss me off lol when you get to that one level that you can't pass. I'd like to see this game also though. It's kind of fun, challenging, and how many levels do you think we could fit in a cartridge?!

About 1000 or so. Probably much more. I don't believe in locking out the rest of a game because you can't pass a single level.

Cheers

A

About 1000 or so.  Probably much more.

Depends on the cart size, right? ;)

32K will be the standard cart size I'll be using for quite some time. So I was quoting roughly 1000 levels in a 32K cart. I'm sure I could use your packing prowess, Thomas. Probably a Huffman encoder, something like that. Or even RLE. Just a few bit patterns total, lots and lots of whitespace.

Cheers

A

A better idea would be to use a psuedo random number generator to automatically generate Sokoban levels. I think there are articles written on such algorithms for making "good" Sokoban levels. If done correctly, you could have an incredibly large number of different levels in a small amount of space, and as long as your psuedo random number generator is deterministic, the level password would be nothing more than the current index in the psuedo random number sequence (i.e. the seed)... obfuscated to prevent cheating, of course.

Since you would most likely want to have the original classic Sokoban maps, you could have those as the beginning maps, and once those are completed the later maps would be the automatically generated ones.

Though RLE alone might allow for plenty of levels. There is just something cool about having an infinite number of maps, so that people can indefinitely have bragging rights about how far they have gotten so far :)

Though RLE alone might allow for plenty of levels.  There is just something cool about having an infinite number of maps, so that people can indefinitely have bragging rights about how far they have gotten so far :)

I agree, but a level generator may become too complicated and slow. I thought about using one for my game Jammed but it was not possible, since I would have needed a lot of RAM (recursive algorithms, backtracking...) and CPU time.

A better idea would be to use a psuedo random number generator to automatically generate Sokoban levels. ... .Since you would most likely want to have the original classic Sokoban maps, ...

Gosh .. I think I only got through about 10 of the original maps .. and there are something like 30 of them. A random generator of maps would upset me if there were no solution!!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

A better idea would be to use a psuedo random number generator to automatically generate Sokoban levels. ... .Since you would most likely want to have the original classic Sokoban maps, ...

Gosh .. I think I only got through about 10 of the original maps .. and there are something like 30 of them. A random generator of maps would upset me if there were no solution!!

It is not about no solution, but more about highest level you have gotten to.

I'm not a fan of randomly generated levels. I like pre-set levels. I'm also not a fan of letting someone jump ahead to see levels. I think they need to complete 1 to get to 2.. 2 to get to 3, etc.

Sure, someone could get a password to start at say level 25, but they'd not have all the points as if they were to start the game from level 1 and pass each level themselves.

I'm not a fan of randomly generated levels. I like pre-set levels. I'm also not a fan of letting someone jump ahead to see levels. I think they need to complete 1 to get to 2.. 2 to get to 3, etc.

The way my palmtop version works (ASCII graphics BTW) is it saves which map levels have been completed and which have not. If Sokaban were programmed for the Atari then it could use the AtariVox to save this data. That would be cool!

The way my palmtop version works (ASCII graphics BTW) is it saves which map levels have been completed and which have not.  If Sokaban were programmed for the Atari then it could use the AtariVox to save this data.  That would be cool!

By "Palmtop" are we talking Palm/CE or Portfolio?

Nah, anything with an x86 inside is evil.

The beauty of my HP200LX palmtop is that it is a standalone computer .. whereas WinCE/ PDAs are instead companions to your home / work / laptop computers. I can write, compile with AS09 and upload code to the Vectrex with it! But I have not yet gotten a version of DASM to run on it. :sad: Then I could be writing code for the Atari / Cuttle Cart2 wherever I go.

Now I just looked at my palmtop version of Sokoban (vintage 1992) and it has 85 built-in maps of which I have only solved 10 !!

To avoid precision moves and avoid wrong moves .. I think this game would be best if played with the keyboard controller. In addition the user could key in the level initially. Also buttons could be assigned to reset current map to initial setup, undo last move, save (Atarivox). I guess previous and next maps could be achieved by the console switches.