IGNORED

Atari 400 - bad A/C jack?

Slickone

On my 400, I have to press & hold down or sideways (not 'in') on A/C adapter's plug end, that plugs into the 400, to keep the power on the 400. That is the jack inside the 400 that's loose isn't it? Is that an easy fix?

Or is there a possiblity it's in the adapter's plug? I tried the adapter on an Odyssey2 and it did the same thing (though I had to press a lot more), but it's jack is probably bad too.

I closed the plug/barrel up it a little more and it was very hard to put in, and didn't help. I opened it back up a little and got some power for a few short times (I couldn't hold it in the right spot to get it to stay on), but now I have no power. It works fine on my Odyssey2 though, and I don't even have to press on it anymore. What's going on?

I have pics of the jack inside the 400. It's made of three metal parts/contacts. When you put the plug in it, are two of the three contacts in the jack supposed to touch? Or is it only supposed to disconnect one of those contacts and the third one?

Also I accidentally broke the cartridge door off when opening it up. I was careful, but it's old and brittle. Does anyone have a broken 400 I get get a door from?

There are only 2 contacts that matter: the center post, and the piece that touches the outside of the barrel. If the solder on the board is good, then there are 2 other problems I can think of:

1. The metal has oxidized and will need polishing where it contacts the plug.

2. The center post has lost contact where it is rivited to the back of the jack assembly.

-Bry

It's most likely the solder has deteriorated around where the the power jack is attached to the circuit board. It should be easy to tell where it needs to be re-soldered. Just gently move the jack with your fingers while watching the opposite side of the circuit board for joint movement. I've fixed a 2600 and a 800xl with the same problem. Easy to do.

I checked the 400 jack's contacts with a multimeter, with the AC plug plugged in, and get 10.5V. I also checked the contacts and soldier itself underneath and get the same. So I'm afraid it's something else. Anything else to check?

I also checked at the switch, and get the same. Oddly, looking at the PCB, the circuit is complete when the switch is off (and that's when I get 10.5V across it) and broken when the switch is on. How does that work?

I also checked at the switch, and get the same.  Oddly, looking at the PCB, the circuit is complete when the switch is off (and that's when I get 10.5V across it) and broken when the switch is on.  How does that work?

Because, when the switch is off, the contact is broken and you have different potentials on either side of it. When the switch is on, the contacts touch, making them the same potential and yielding a 0V difference across them.

-Bry

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but I didn't know enough to check anything else besides what I last posted/asked back then, and after it's collected dust for over a year, I've got to do something with it, ie. get rid of it. Unless someone has any other things that an electronics novice can check, I'm wondering what should I do with a broken Atari 400? Throw it in the trash?

I never even got to try the Castle Crises cart I bought from Bryan. How much should I ask for it considering it seems to be in higher demand now?

I know this thread is old, but I didn't know enough to check anything else besides what I last posted/asked back then, and after it's collected dust for over a year, I've got to do something with it, ie. get rid of it. Unless someone has any other things that an electronics novice can check, I'm wondering what should I do with a broken Atari 400? Throw it in the trash?

I never even got to try the Castle Crises cart I bought from Bryan. How much should I ask for it considering it seems to be in higher demand now?

I looked on B&C Computervisions' web site, and they sell the 800 power board for $5. You could call them and see if they have any 400 ones.

-Bry

I looked on B&C Computervisions' web site, and they sell the 800 power board for $5. You could call them and see if they have any 400 ones.

So I'm guessing the 400 and 800 power boards are the same?

BTW, minimum shipping cost from there is $8.

No, the 800 power board has more connectors. You'd need to see if they have a 400 one.

-Bry

So I'm guessing the 400 and 800 power boards are the same?

BTW, minimum shipping cost from there is $8.

No, the 800 power board has more connectors. You'd need to see if they have a 400 one.

-Bry

Oh, sorry, I misread your reply.

• 2 months later...