IGNORED

Spring loaded CX-40 Joystics

Zonie

Anyone here ever seen or used the original spring loaded cx-40 joystick? They are so well built that the rubber boot wore out long before the internals.

They had four tabs on the bottom of the boot that stuck into the slots on the base instead of the hard plastic ring that held (rarely) the boot of the newer type.

The internal "stick" was black instead of white.

I think I still have mine in a box somewhere. Just wondering if anyone else has them.

Original 1977 Atari joystick move more free like air (for me). I only have one and only half works but I get the feel of real control with it, I just think what it would be like if it worked 100%. In maybe 3 years I will take the time to fix it or buy another but im just lazy and slow.

You guys forgot the one thing about it, the top atari (or sears) label.

The top disc (see image to immediate left) is made of aluminum and says either SEARS or ATARI. The sticks can be made to work either by stretching / elongating the springs slightly and/ or by replacing the bubble contact PCB. This is how I fixed a friend's stick. He was hoping to have a compete 1977 Atari VCS. Then he realized that his sticks were missing both discs. I've been told that replacement discs could be found at Best Electronics.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, Ga

I have 2 of these...minus the discs. Didn't kmow that Best Electronics had replacement ones. I'm going to have to check that out.

I actually prefer the 1977 sticks to the more common ones. The button has a little too much play in it for my taste, but the sticks move way better than the common ones. I'm sure the reason atari did away with the superior sticks was cost related.