IGNORED

2600 vs. NES vs other hobbies ???

kennercanada

Well, in short the reason I think NES dominates in todays' market is simply because Nintendo is still in business and they are pumping out those "classic" NES titles on their current systems. They get a lot more exposure than similar classic remake titles on PS2 and the like. I know there is Activision anthology and Atari Annaversary but those efforts seem to be minimal compared with Nintendo's saturation of the market. Nintendo knows their audience very well, Sony and Infogrames not as well in my eyes. They should take some notes.

On to some other things... Many people collect sealed atari stuff, boxed atari stuff, atari posters, atari arcade games, atari lunch boxes, action figures even... The list could go on forever. The point I'm trying to make is that reguardless of the collectable, there are always "completists" that must have it all in untouched condition. I love to have complete stuff but can't really stand it when video games are "sealed". It probably goes back to thrifting days before markets like e-bay existed. You could go into goodwill and buy a box of 50 atari games with a system for $10. Those days are long gone now. Even goodwill sells stuff that people donate to them on the internet now.

I think every hobby kind of starts like this. Comic book nuts look for old comic books in bulk... same with baseball card and video game and luchbox and toy nuts.

But reguardless of how it starts, I have noticed that it never really ends like this. Everything just gets sucked into this black hole of nostalgia that is nothing more than an infinite vacuum.

In the world of Star Wars, you have grown men collecting and younger kids wanting to play. Think if the gamer as a grown kid and the collector as a crazy nut with money burning in his pocket. :wink:

In all seriousness, the only thing that makes this hobby different from other hobbies is that these games were never sold in blister packs (well...unless you're talking about CCE carts anyway). For most collectors, MIB meaning everything is in great shape is enough. For the majority of these games, there's no way to truly tell if something has been resealed or not.

As for NES, I'm hoping it goes up in value. I have a lot of boxed NES stuff sitting in a shed waiting to be sold in a few years. 8)

Well, in short the reason I think NES dominates in todays' market is simply because Nintendo is still in business and they are pumping out those "classic" NES titles on their current systems.

I think it's more because the Nintendo generation has a lot more money to burn. I've been seeing things trump NEO GEO prices in the world of Nintendo collecting lately. It also helps that most of the people who are visable in the videogame world today started out on Nintendo, not Atari. Just take a look at all the current gaming magazines. Whenever they write a nostalgic article being a best of or what have you, it always starts out in 1985 with the launch of the NES.

The Atari's become a footnote in gaming history and will become even more obscure as us old geezers who are old enough to have owned a VCS back in '77 move into bigger hobbies. Videogames were still a new novelty when we were growing up and the RPG is a recent phenomenon so many GenXers simply didn't get as into games as people do today. I've also noticed that most of my friends' as they've moved up in the world, haven't stopped collecting things; they've just moved on to more expensive items like sportscars and sail boats. I'm sure I'm not the only one seeing this.

Well, in short the reason I think NES dominates in todays' market is simply because Nintendo is still in business and they are pumping out those "classic" NES titles on their current systems.

I think it's more because the Nintendo generation has a lot more money to burn. I've been seeing things trump NEO GEO prices in the world of Nintendo collecting lately. It also helps that most of the people who are visable in the videogame world today started out on Nintendo, not Atari. Just take a look at all the current gaming magazines. Whenever they write a nostalgic article being a best of or what have you, it always starts out in 1985 with the launch of the NES.

The Atari's become a footnote in gaming history and will become even more obscure as us old geezers who are old enough to have owned a VCS back in '77 move into bigger hobbies. Videogames were still a new novelty when we were growing up and the RPG is a recent phenomenon so many GenXers simply didn't get as into games as people do today. I've also noticed that most of my friends' as they've moved up in the world, haven't stopped collecting things; they've just moved on to more expensive items like sportscars and sail boats. I'm sure I'm not the only one seeing this.

Well, I'm starting in on pinball machines... Those can get fairly pricey. :ponder: I hope exotic cars is next. ;) I always wanted a 1965 Plymouth turbine.