IGNORED

Atari Video Game Selection Center

MIKA-L

A quick question for anyone dedicated to obscure Atari memorabilia and an extreme Google-ride for anyone else.

Can anyone share further information on the Atari Video Game Selection Center than what is already on the linked page?

atarigameselectionmachine__02_t.jpg

Things like launch date/month/year and price could be very interesting to know, along with an explanation to the blank game # 44

Even better, does anyone in here own one of these beasts?

WOW!! Now thats an Atari Holy Grail to look for. I never even knew that existed. I know of a guy that bought a warehouse full of ATARi stuff just after they closed doors for good. He got TONS of documents and stuff. I think it was all related to ATaris Video Arcade division though. I'll see if I can track him down and link him to this thread.

That piece is worthless without the pcb that actually controls it. Rick has a complete one, although it is painted differently. Curt sold one similar to that at PC3 I think for like 50 bucks. You could have made it work with a real 2600, but the game selection was not going to work, of course.

The pcb that is in the display unit is wild. Has a 2600 on board (basically), uses an 8 bit computer power supply, then has an RF output section on board. There is a field of ROMS (the same masked ones from the cart) that are selected from a ROM selection menu ROM. Crazy.

Cassidy

I took that picture and I was just about to comment that I had the pleasure of playing with one of these at the 2004 Midwest Gaming Classic. Very cool device and I would love to have one, although it does take a considerable amount of space. This would be a wonderful way to demo homebrew games at shows, although you'd be limited to 4K games.

..Al

Very cool device and I would love to have one, although it does take a considerable amount of space.  This would be a wonderful way to demo homebrew games at shows, although you'd be limited to 4K games.

I do remember seeing that at Sears, back in the day. Ahh... memories...

And Albert, if you're interested in something like that for showing off homebrews, e-mail me. Maybe we could work out some sort of deal for shows.

Even better, does anyone in here own one of these beasts?

I actually have one of the Atari POP units (Point Of Purchase) which looks to be the same as this thing but with a larger stand-type unit going with it. (See the pick here)

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/cons...00displays.html

The main board inside looks the same as the one pictured elsewhere in this thread. The PCB is kinda cool in that it has joystick connector ports on the board (although not populated in the production form) that you can solder in yourself and play with a regular 2600 controllers.

The board itself was implemented by Atari's coin-op group (not the VCS group). It shares a form-factor and EMI cage with Atari arcade games at the time.

Mine is (mostly) set-up in Ground Kontrol in Portland, OR if anyone wants to check it out. We do not have the demo computer or the original sticks installed yet, but it's stocked with carts and is fully assembled. I can snap a couple pictures if anyone is interested.

-Clay