IGNORED

how many carts came in gatefold boxes?

Zonie

There are 9 gatefold games from Atari. I would assume the same nine games exist for Sears as well, although most were renamed & used new artwork for Sears.  I think I have 4 of the Sears ones. I have all 9 of the Atari issued ones.

Yup .. there were 9 Sears gatefold boxes .. I know because I trashed 8 of them! :ponder:

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I guess the original nine numbered Atari carts came in gatefold boxes. They're definitely hard to find. I think I've only ever found one Combat box in the wild.

One interesting I have is the IBM PCJr cartridge version of Pitfall II. It's in a gatefold box with an art spread inside the gatefold.

@Dolt, look here

@Bruce, That was pretty standard for the Atari 5200 & 8-bits as well.

Decthlon

HERO

Pitfall II

Space Shuttle

Zenji

Zone Ranger

Were all released in slightly thicker boxes with gatefold front covers. The same box was used from 5200 to 8-bit, to Colecovision, most likely your PCJR (was Pitfall II the only Activision cart on that?) maybe even the C64 as well.. At the bottom of the box is a added piece that tucks into the bottom flaps and actually lists "for Atari 5200" or "for Colecovision" etc. remove that and the boxes are identical. The trays inside the boxes were plastic, and were molded for at least three different cart casings to fit. This was probably just a cost saving deal. Some manuals were cross platform as well. I've got some that were CV & 5200 & some that are 5200 & 8-bit.