IGNORED

Dimensions of the average cartridge and 25 Cube Organizer

Random Terrain

I saw this Stackable Storage Organizer at Target the other day for $44.99:

25 Cube Organizer

Each cube is approximately 4 1/2"W X 5 3/4"H, so it seems like just about any Atari 2600 cartridge should fit. About how many games do you think that would hold?

post-13-1107519909_thumb.jpg

This looks similar but not identical to some 3x5 cube storage units I recently bought at Target. Mine have a white finish and I think they're priced around $25, and I'm quite sure they have the same measurements per cube.

I haven't put my collection into them yet (I'm moving to a new apartment with my fiancee right now), but I have tried putting Atari carts in and for standard-sized carts, I can get 7 in each cube. So, the 5x5 unit will provide space for 175 standard carts, or for my 3x5 units, 105 standard carts. The extra space to the side of the carts makes them easier to access and pull out of their "stack." Not bad.

The main problem that I have with them, at least in the units I've bought, is that they're too deep, so if you move your cartridges all the way to the back, they'll really seem like they're back in a cave without much access to light. I'm planning on buying some foam-board and posterboard and devising a way to make a removable fake "wall" in each cube so that they are more shallow and usable for this purpose.

I bought six of them (I got them on sale for around $20 a few weeks back), but due to frustrating issues during the construction of one of them, I now have five of them plus one empty white wooden box sans inside cube chambers, which I will likely use for unusual controllers, Supercharger, Playaround/Mystique leatherette holders, etc. With room for 525 "normal" carts, I should still have enough room to last me a while. Once they are set up and ready to go, I think they'll look great.

Have fun!

Badger 8)

I bought this 7-drawer dresser at Target last summer

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-...asin=B0000YKA74

and it's a little steep but fabulous--each drawer is the perfect size for games. Each one holds 60 carts (63 if you cram), so it holds 420 normally, and 441 if you really jam stuff in. Plus the labels are now protected from sunlight and dust.

post-3788-1107554336_thumb.jpg

post-3788-1107554337_thumb.jpg