IGNORED

What is the best 2600 Controller?

jeepnut24

I'm working on that as we speak

Eventually every controller in that section will have a detailed description of gameplay, the pros and cons of the controller and possibly some internal pictures of them.

I've tested well over 100 different controllers for the VCS at this point. My favorite so far is the Apache 1 controller. The Apache 1 Has a comfortable ergonomical grip and a trigger fire button with suction base and is great for playing games like the Battlezone TC hack.

I hate game pads. I mean, I don't mind them in certain situations, but they just can't compete on a comfort level with a stick of some kind.

I've always personally favoured the Epyx 500XJ. Contoured design with a comfortable grip, well placed trigger, and smooth, positive stick movement thanks to the use of microswitches instead of membranes.

I've never really gone for bat-style sticks like the Wicos. They work well, but the added height of the stick (especially when using top-mounted triggers) means you have to place your hand higher, which adds leverage to the stick movement, which means your other hand has to hold it more firmly to prevent the base from tilting or slipping out of your grasp. Very tiring after a while. It's fine though if you play with the stick mounted on a table.

A lot of people also like the Suncom Slik-Stik. Of all the sticks I disliked that one the most due to the fact that the stick has almost no play in it; it handles like a brick.

At 37, I'm too old, retarded, or uncordinated to use NES controllers. I cannot even play 2600 games on my dreamcast because of it. On the N64, my ten year old kills me over and over again on super smash brothers.

Seriously, Other than a homeade arcade joystick or a Wico, I had this neat little controller I got for my C64 years back. It had an analog joystick mounted in a beige case with two buttons on top and an angled section with a blank cover that probably could have a keypad in it... but didn't.

Analog??? you ask? It was wired to emulate a digital stick and worked great. I have it somewhere, but cannot remenber what it was called. It had a stick figure drawing of a person using it on the label, IIRC.

A lot of people also like the Suncom Slik-Stik.  Of all the sticks I disliked that one the most due to the fact that the stick has almost no play in it; it handles like a brick.

Ironically I've found the powerstick to be the most responsive controller so far despite its small size.

Tonight I'll be using the Starplex and Fire Command for some gaming. :D

I always wanted a power stick, hearing it has very reliable controls makes me want one even more. My personal fav is a tie between the slik stik and the heavy sixer stick. They're just much more well built than the joystick we all know and love. If you can get a chance, try out an original 1977 stick, you'd be suprised how much it rocks.

Thanks for the suggestions, and great link. I always wanted a wilco. I think Ill have to track one down. Sounds like controllers are almost a personall thing. :D I like using a genesis controller ocassionally, but I also like using a custom made controller using an arcade stick. :D

Space Age Joystick all the way baby!  :D

I always wanted one of those since I saw it in atari age magazine when I was a kid. How's the quality and action?

The one I have is very smooth and responsive. There isn't a whole lot of motion with it, which makes it a few steps above a control pad. One thing I don't like about it is the location of the cord. It's definitely on the wrong side. But what are you gonna do?

Anyway, I like it. If it wasn't so rare, I'd play with it all the time. :D

Cool site, sku_u. I didn't realize the Space Age controller was that rare.

I really enjoyed the Tac-2 we had for our Commoder when I was a kid. I wish I still had it. I have a couple of Slick Sticks, but they pale in comparison. I definitely prefer the "arcade style" sticks, but right now I'm using the Cheetah Bollistick, which is a very small 2600 compatible control pad. It's really comfortable for long games.

I have 4 Suncom TAC-2 Controllers... these rule!

THe original atari stick are put away cause I know I will break them with time. The Tac-2 have no breaking parts inside & come very close to the Aracade style feel. Definitely my favorite...

I like the slik sticks too... I have 2 of these.

I generally swear by the Gemini controllers, the ones with the small stick and a paddle built in. Makes for easy transition between stick/paddle games without having to change any hookups, and both the paddle and stick feel good to me.

On some occaisions though, I instead go with the Epyx 500XJ... I like the click it makes when you move it, it's nice to get some feedback from the stick compared to all the mushy controllers out there.

--Zero

Home made arcade joystick here. I never use anything else since I built it. Mine has a real Wico leaf stick & button, accept no substitutes, baby!

I was waiting for you to chime in. :D That is my next project. After I get the 2600 cab built.... :ponder: ...Getting closer now. The electrics are just about finished, just need to get it all together.