IGNORED

Why your Spitfire Attack doesn't have an end label

Bruce Tomlin

I got a Milton Bradley Flight Commander control in very good condition today (okay, so the box was in excellent condition, but I haven't yet tested if the control works right). Inside the box was the original sticker sheet cutout and backing paper, and all the stickers had fallen off of the controller itself. Including a very interesting one... a Spitfire Attack end label! (Sorry, no cart was in the box.)

After looking through all the labels, it was obvious that they were all there, so I scanned the complete label sheet and the labels without the cutout, and I also scanned the instructions. Mine was missing the transparent gauges label sticker that goes into the lamp window in back, but otherwise is complete.

Well, the mystery is solved. The reason so many Spitfire Attack carts are missing their label is simply because MB was too cheap to put them on themselves, and made the customer apply it from the label sheet! In addition, the glue wasn't the best, as shown by all but one having fallen off my controller, and I peeled that one of with no effort.

post-4828-1107751834_thumb.jpg

post-4828-1107751835_thumb.jpg

flight_commander_stickers.zip

flight_commander_instructions.zip

Indeed, it's sort of become fairly common knowledge. I still haven't scored a CIB Spitfire or Survival Run yet -- I'm still on the hunt -- but I'd love to find one with the sticker sheets still intact. I've seen them NIB on eBay -- dunno if there are any still available, but at least one guy has been selling them off.

Well then, let me give a tip for scanning that I came up with for this. All those little labels, kind of curled up, how are you going to get them to stay in place while you put down the lid of the scanner?

Post-it notes. I tacked a bunch of small post-it notes to the back of the stickers and cutout to get them to stay together.