IGNORED

How do I get working a U.S. Sunnyvale Atari 2600 in England?

Bluebook

I live in England and I Purchased the above on ebay and thought I woudn't have any problems setting it up since I have a multistandard (NTSC/PAL) TV. What I failed to realise (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that this system is based upon a VHF old U.S. signal and my multistandard TV is multistandard via scart interface but can only receive UHF signals. Is there any way around this problem without having to buy an old U.S. TV? Is there any sort of RF Modulator (i.e. VHF-UHF) convertor I can buy?

It also came with the game switch & the 75-300ohm adaptor that makes it fit nicely into the back of english sets as this system was intergrated with a RCA connection....unfortunately my TV fails to recognise the signal :(

Hmm Have you verified the TV channel to be either 3 or 4? Also check the unit to see which channel it is set for. If the TV/Game switch is the original I reccomend getting a new one. Radioshack has them for 10.00 US.

Also the power supply could be bad like mine was. You can find these on E-Bay or a anyplace that sells vintage game consoles. These usually run about 10.00 US for a tested, good, one.

Hi. Have tried a different powersupply-no luck. Not sure what you mean by making sure TV is set to channel 3 or 4? - Signal channels available on my UK Multistandard TV is between 21 to 69 (UHF) - so does this mean its still to do with the UHF/VHF scenario? I think the TV game switch is the original but I can't be entirely sure (its a black metal box type one) - will try to get another one in case this is the problem although I still think that because my TV received UHF only this might still be the problem? :?

PS not sure how to change the channel on the system as it just looks like an 'empty slot' - Do I need to take it apart to change selection channel? :? ..Something that might help (or maybe even confuse matters worse..) is that on my portable NON multistandard (i.e. PAL TV) I do get a picture of sorts but sound is replaced by a continuous hiss presuming it can tune in this VHF frequency....thanks for your help though

Ah, the old "US Atari on UK TV" conundrum.

First off, some facts:

* Your Atari is churning out an NTSC RF VHF signal.

* Your Telly will receive an NTSC video signal with a PAL sound carrier. You won't get any sound.

* Your TV won't tune to VHF so you have to use an external tuner. VCRs make good tuners, or you can get external tuners on eBay for about £20 (I use an AverMedia JoyTV myself - very handy). You still won't get sound though unless it's a dedicated NTSC one or multistandard (very expensive!). Many of them do NTSC video but still look for the sound in the wrong place.

* The switch box doesn't connect to UK TVs. If it does, you're either fitting it into the wrong hole or it's not the original switchbox. You need a co-axial cable to connect to the TV, anything else is no good - NTSC Ataris tend to have F-type connectors (the ones with the screw thread). You can use a UK switchbox from an Atari of the same age (a few old consoles use them).

You have some options:

Buy an NTSC TV. Ouch on the shipping.

Buy an NTSC TV card for a computer. Way cheaper - go to eBay!

Buy an NTSC external tuner - kind of expensive.

Buy a true multistandard external tuner - less shipping but expensive!

Mod your Atari - this means leeching the video and audio signal straight out of your Atari, giving you composite video and an audio signal, which you can plug into your TV and HiFi or whatever. Much better picture quality. It's fairly easy if you know which end of a soldering iron to hold.

Get someone else to mod it for you! I'll do it for £20 + postage if you like (including parts which over £5).

Hope that helps!

Perhaps this should go in the FAQ? I seem to have written it many times now...

Finally got the time to mod my Atari system into composite video.

Looking around the net I noticed a few variances on how to do this...I picked this one: http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/Question1.htm

I think mainly because it at least had some pics as to where you should be pointing the soldering iron and it also included two 1-k potentiometers to manually adjust if colour etc. was incorrect.

Please dont have a go if I picked the wrong mod as its a bit too late now!!.... :(

Sound is PERFECT - what a relief!

Unfortunately the picture is 'rolling' (sync problem?) AND it isnt in colour when connected to my multistandard tv.

My only 'concern' when carrying out this modification was that I wasnt entirely 100% if I had correctly located the CHROMA SPOT which apparently changes depending on what revision board you have.

All I had was the picture from the site and it seemd to me that the CHROMA SPOT was soldered to the large capacitor near R208..was this coorect? not sure....oddly when checking to see what happens on my portable PAL only TV the pic is stable, has sound but is in B&W and the pic area is 'off to one side' causing a few vertical lines to show up on the left hand side.

It was my 1st attempt at anything like this but I do like to learn... How bad have I done and can anybody help please?? many thanks