IGNORED

Factory sealed Atari 2600 console boxes?

energoncafe

Hi all. I'd like to get into collecting the factory sealed video game systems that I had as a kid, and some information would be most appreciated. I had the 2600, 5200, and 7800 growing up, and I'm trying to remember back, how each was sealed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 2600 and 7800 boxes were glued sealed at the factory? As for the 5200, I just don't remember. Stapled? Also, are there any tell-tale signs of tampering to look out for when collecting sealed systems? I collect vintage toys, and there are certain things to look for. I would say it would be pretty hard to discretely open a glued box without doing some notable damage to the box, but who knows. Any information/advice would be great. Thanks

The 2600 was glued shut. The 7800 and 5200 I'm actually not sure about, because they're sort of "clamshell" box designs that gluing (or stapling) wouldn't really work on. I just haven't looked at mine closely enough to try to figure it out either, but it seems like tape is really the only thing that would have worked on these.

As for how to tell if a box has been tampered with, on the 2600 it should be pretty easy to tell if you've got the original glue or not just by looking at the glue patterns. The original stuff is "clumped" in a pretty obvious and consistent manner. If you see any clumps of a different color or in the wrong place (the glue was mostly concentrated towards the middle of the flap), then it's probably been tampered with.

I really don't know how to tell with the 5200 and 7800 because I don't know how they were sealed originally.

Thanks for the info. What if you're examining a sealed box where the sides are closed?

I don't want to monopolize the thread, but since I'm here...

In my personal experience, mostly when people try to re-glue things shut they overdo it. So personally, I'd look for signs of that - bubbling in the cardboard (from it being wet with glue), glue that's "bled" over the corner of the box, and flaps that are glued completely shut all the way around. For that last one, you'd have to actually pull gently on the corner of the flap a little and see if there's any "give" to it - since the glue was originally concentrated in the middle (at least it was on my two 2600 boxes), the corners probably wouldn't be completely sealed down in a real sealed unit.

I'd personally also be suspicious if it was too tight of a seal. This is 25 year old glue; it's probably not going to hold for much longer. If you pull on it a little bit I'd think you'd probably feel like it was going to give way if you didn't let go if it's a truly new system.

Honestly, though, I really think you're gonna have a tough time finding sealed boxes for any of these systems, especially that you can test ahead of buying. Once in a blue moon you see them on Ebay but there's no way to test those seller claims before purchasing, and out in the wild you will probably never, ever find a sealed unit. 2600's may be marginally easier to find than the other two, but it's still going to be really difficult.

If you are looking for a Vader model sealed, I know of a few for sale. They were NOS that was part of a bulk buy. Not cheap, I think they are 300+ each, but VERY VERY clean boxes. You get what you pay for. Seller is a video game dealer (mostly imports and modern stuff, but some classics).

I did not buy one, btw. Not because I thought it was too much, but I was too busy buying all the Avalon Hill sealed games from the same lot!

Cassidy

I still have and play all the old stuff I had as a kid. Amazingly, it still works. I just think it's an interesting hobby/investment to get sealed consoles because of the rarity. And as with anything, it's important to know what to look for as a collector. You don't want to get burned. I have a pretty good idea, dealing with a vintage toy collection, but anything that an experienced Atari collector could add would always be helpful.

I still have and play all the old stuff I had as a kid. Amazingly, it still works. I just think it's an interesting hobby/investment to get sealed consoles because of the rarity. And as with anything, it's important to know what to look for as a collector. You don't want to get burned. I have a pretty good idea, dealing with a vintage toy collection, but anything that an experienced Atari collector could add would always be helpful.

Most Atari collectors don't make a distinction between MIB and NIB. Usually, the only difference between the 2 is some shrinkwrap. FWIW, it's very easy to get scammed on stiff advertised as NIB. In some cases, like games that are UR in NTSC format, but common in PAL format, something sealed will actually be worth less because chances are the game inside is PAL regardless of what the seller might claim and most people will not want to take a chance. In that respect, Atari collecting is different from toy collecting. How do you even make the distinction with older rare toys? I have a small toy collection myself (mostly pre-WWII stuff) and the toys weren't sealed in any way the first time around.