IGNORED

Cartridge hunting in Atlanta area

legeek

Howdy,

I've noticed there are number of folk on the message board with Atlanta as their location. I was just wondering if there where any good flea markets, thrift stores, etc to go to for cart hunting...

It's been my experience that the thrift stores and pawn shops in Atlanta are pretty dry for atari stuff...

However, I am planning on checking out the big Athens flea market soon...

le geek

Oh and Mr. Marsinovitonofski..er I mean Marcinowski, You ever been to the Jockey Lot? I drove up once about 2 months ago. I thought it was nice. That flea market is Huge! There were quite a few people selling games there. There was one place inside called The Game Tavern I think? I picked up a few games from them. They even had a few Atari games, nothin rare tho.

Whew for a minute there I thought the newbie said "Stay away from Moycon!" I was like WHAT!!!?? WHAT DID YOU HEAR!?? IT WAS A RUMOR!!! THATS IT!!!!

OK there used to be 3 big Flea Markets up Highway 41 past Kennesaw before you got to Cartersville. A few times a year I USED to be able to hit em all on the week-end and come away with pretty good hauls. Average price I was willing to pay per cart was $1.00.

Unfortunately that was then, this is now. One of the Flea Markets was torn down...(but another one grew almost double in size!! and it was already big!)Most Atari carts have been replaced with Nintendo. And the Atari carts, tho you will find some, will cost a bit more because they are "collectors items" Keep in mind these Flea Markets are not open in the winter. But you should be able to do some good hunting come spring.

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: moycon ]

Not for long! We had the Macon Braves (Single A Sally League I think its called) But they're leaving at the end of next season to play in Rome,GA It sucks too, cause really all that was needed for them to stay was to add a penny sells tax to help fund renovation to the old field. I've seen Chipper and Andrew and tons of others come through here before they became big stars. Now will probably end up getting an affiliate of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, if they're still around in a couple years.

Hey I'm not a newbie, I'm just very quiet! note my low member # I've been here longer than you

Has anyone been to Pendergrass? Big cow? http://www.pendflea.com/home.htm There's one vendor out there with a ton of games. Lot of boxed Nes games, some HTF ones too. I picked up a few Intellivision games all complete in the box from them at $4 each

I checked out one flea market on Cobb/Highway 41 and didn't find any Atari games. I didn't have much time to look because it was cold and wet and I had the family with me. I plan on checking it out again along with the others.

I periodically check a discount store on Cobb Parkway (Family Value???) but I haven't found anything.

I did find something at the Goodwill on Cobb. Can you tell I travel this road a lot, I live in Kennesaw This was a while ago though. Nothing rare but just some carts to plug into Stella. I found some 5200 games too. There was a 2600 there one day but someone beat me to it. When I returned it was gone

Now Brian Watson (making Poker Squares for the 2600) told my of a store that sells 2600 units. I was going to get a 2600 but someone got me one for Christmas It's called Video Game Swap USA and he says there are 2 locations in the Atlanta area that he knows of. I think the phone number is 404 SWAPUSA.

I hope this helps.

Actually I have never been to the Jockey Lot. I tend not to travel too far from home. My wife gets annoyed with me taking the car for half the day on Saturday's as it is. "By the way, honey, I am going to need the car all weekend to drive all through the southeast looking for Atari and NES games.".....*smack*...."No you're not!". There are several GREAT flea markets in the immediate Columbia area here and a new one is on the way. It's supposed to be gigantic. The best thing about the flea markets here is that they are open year-round.Couple that with the fact there are not too many people "down with Atari" here. One of these days I will take a trip to GA and hit up some of those flea markets in the rural areas.

Yeah, SwapUSA sells 2600 carts, but they're a little pricey. They also had some 5200, and Lynx carts last time I was there. A good alternative to Funcoland, as they carry more stuff and are import friendly. The store I go to is off Roswell road just north of 285...

Thanks all for the tips so far!

Cheers,

-le geek

Yeap...

While I was visiting the Atlanta area this past July, I took it upon myself to spend a whole day looking where I could for some good stuff. Those two gameswaps were the best of the lot. You guys speak of high prices!!! I actually thought they were pretty good. After all one of them had a Pitfall2 cart they only 5 bucks for and it was in really good shape. In fact I bought my cart of MASH there also for 5. The 5200 carts were priced the same though at the time I didn't have a 5200 yet so I really didn't look that hard.

They do have complete units they sell also for I believe 20 bucks each? Anyway, their lot consisted mostly of Jr. models that I saw.

I travelled over 150 miles that day alone looking for stuff and all I was able to find that I needed was the MASH cart, Fast Food, and I found me a copy of Generations Lost for the Genesis. In all I spent less than 15 bucks and I also found me one of those old Intel Bunnymen stuffed dolls. He was in the first Flea Market I visited and became my Mascot for the day.

Now he sits in the corner of the room atop one of my Cambridge soundworks speaker cubes...hehe...

• 1 year later...

*BUMP*

Thought I'd dredge this thread up, since I'm STILL trying to find decent carts around Atlanta.

I've checked out a bunch of thrifts in my area and always come up empty-handed. The only luck I've had is the Game Swap USA on Roswell Rd. in Sandy Springs. I never buy any 2600 carts there because they're overpriced and in crappy condition, but I did pick up a few nice NES items there.

Today I'm heading over to Value Village in Tucker... may be the last chance I give thrifts in Atlanta. Pretty soon I'm going to have to venture out in the sticks and check out the flea markets!

Today I'm heading over to Value Village in Tucker...

Well if you go out Lawrenceville Hwy heading east from there, you will come across the following in this order:

Goodwill on the left, St Vincent de Paul on the right, Salvation Army on the right , Another thrift (called Grandview?) on the right, then America's Thrift Store on the right. Total about 6 mile drive.

Plus there are three thrift stores in Lawrenceville (but they are very busy and probably picked over pretty quickly).

Another good one: Last Chance Thrift (Decatur)

Also Salv Army (Decatur) (never Atari)

Yesterday I drove through four Cobb County Thrifts and all I saw was PacMan behind glass. :(

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Value Village was a bust.

Last Chance Thrift is right near my house. Several trips there have been fruitless.

Have you ever been to Gameroom Classics at Lawrenceville Hwy & Brockett Rd.? (Right across from Value Village.) I think it's mostly or entirely arcade stuff. I went there once during their supposed operating hours (Fri-Sat-Sun) only, back when I was still caring for my now-departed Taxi pinball machine, and the lights were on but it was all locked up.

Hmmmmm I will have to check the Flea Markets up 41. Sometime you can go there and find 100's of games...Other times... Its an Atari ghost town. They do ALWAYS have TONS of NES , SNES and Genisis stuff tho.

I haven't been in awhile and I was looking for something cheap to do this week-end. I'll let you guys know if I go, and what if any Atari stuff they have. Also any good stuff I snag!!! :P

Have you ever been to Gameroom Classics at Lawrenceville Hwy & Brockett Rd.?

Yes .. I've been in there twice just to look around. They told me that they had two Asteroids arcade units in storage. $400 for broken $800 for working.

Two years ago I got a 99% complete, almost mint Dark Tower Electronic Board game from Last Chance Thrift on 1/2 price Mondays for $2!

I saw Atari carts there about 3 months ago .. just overpriced commons. I waited until 1/2 price Monday and they were gone.

Moycon: I'll be driving up and down I-575 this weekend. Want to get together and look at some fleas?

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Well Rob today I took your advice and headed up to Lilburn. I checked out the Goodwill and the Salvation Army, plus the Flea-Antique place near the Goodwill.

Goodwill had 2 severely banged-up Sega Genesis CONSOLES... no games. The Salvation Army had 3 NES carts (a Sesame Street one, the ubiquitous SMB/Duck Hunt, and a Bugs Bunny one) plus some boxed SMS and Genesis carts. The antique shop didn't have any games but they DID have an old Planet of the Apes comic book that came with a 45 RPM playalong record. I was almost tempted to get that...