IGNORED

Rubber Bands on 5200 sticks for centering?

dalton4life

My finacee said it looked ghetto when she 1st saw it but then she played Pac-man with it and she said much better. I was surprise more people haven't tried with the 5200. Although I 1st did it when the my Vectrex stick stopped centering when I was a kid. I used 2 big rubber bands on each controller.

post-6410-1108310007_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like something that could work. I had been tinkering with the idea of drilling some tiny holes at the four corners of the outer ring and using springs for centering. I haven't tried it yet though.

I made a whole internal spring return thing for one of my 5200 sticks. It would be fine for like 2 games and then the springs would pop loose and comically fly all over the place. There's not much room inside the 5200 stick to add springs. The best thing would be spring return pots to replace the originals but I've never come across ones that were the right size and resistance that were of a resonable price. I found a company that would make anything you wanted but I couldn't see paying a few hundred dollars for 5200 sticks to self center. I'd buy a Redemption long before I spent that kind of dough on joysticks.

Thie reminds me of the old problem of creating a writing instrument for space - we spent 1 million on a pen and the russians used a pencil - ....
And the russians had problems with pencil shavings floating into instruments and astronaut faces.

Which is why we made a space pen.

Thie reminds me of the old problem of creating a writing instrument for space - we spent 1 million on a pen and the russians used a pencil - ....
And the russians had problems with pencil shavings floating into instruments and astronaut faces.

I guess crayons just made too much sense :P

I guess crayons just made too much sense :P

I still write with crayons. Really impresses my boss....

If only somebody thought of that and made it known back in the days when the 5200 was the hottest thing out there!

Believe me I wish I could have. I didn't have a 5200 back then or I would have put the word out except a Commodore 64 and Compuserve couldn't have spread the word like the web today. I think I told my cousin who had a 5200 to try it though.

That rubber band ball I started in about 1991, its about 14 pounds now. ( I had a lot of free time when I was younger and still do ). Soon I will put my red rubber bands on it, before it was purple / yellow and once all blue but started out green.

As too the 5200 stick, they die out so fast I don't even use my Atari 5200 in fear the controller will give out and I only have one now.