IGNORED

atari-pc joystick converters

norville

I have a Stelladaptor and I also have a PC Competitor. I use them both on a regular basis. I use the PC Competitor more than the Stelladaptor, but they work equally well. The PC Competitor, however, allows you to attach two sticks to one gameport (no USB support required). I use the Stelladaptor mostly just for paddle games. I wish an Atari 800 emulator supported it.

OR....If you'd rather spend next to nothing, you can check out this:http://www.geocities.com/deonvdw/Docs/PPJoyMain.htm.

It's a windows driver set that allows you to connect an atari joystick to your parallel port, just as you asked.

You can build the adapter yourself for $5 with of parts from any radio shack, and there is NO SOLDERING OR ELECTRICAL KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED. all you need to do is know who to read, and count.

IF you want to know more, reply, and I'll explain in detail. [/url]

thanks danno.

it seems as though PPJoy is no longer in developement.

for shame...

I think their page is just fubar. If you search for PPjoy on google and go to the google cached page, it's just fine. Latest versioni is .83, but I've been running .79 since last summer and it's fine.

In fact - here it is. http://www.geocities.com/deonvdw/Docs/PPJoyMain.htm

Anywho, if you go to the page and look at the "Amiga 4 player" diagram, that's the one that also works for Atari 2600/7800 through the parallel port.

All you need from radio shack is:

one DB9 Male to RJ45 female kit. (allows you to place the pins where ever you want them.) These are about $2.00

One DB25 Male to RJ45 kit. (same as above)

One standard Cat-5 network cable, whatever length you want.

Basically all you do is wire up the pins on the DB9 end to the corresponding pinout for a standard digital joystick (Atari, Commodore, Amiga).

write down which color wire you placed at which pin #.

Then match up the colors and place the pins accordingly for the DB25 end following the pinout diagram.

Last - install the PPjoy program/drivers, and add an Amiga 4-player style joystick. Reboot.

It takes all of 15 minutes. (5 if you've got nimble fingers) and voila! Atari joystick on your PC, fully compatible with any windows game that requires.

and you can configure it with two fire buttons, for Omega Race, or for 7800 and 5200 games and emulators. (something the Stelladaptor can't do.) [/url]