IGNORED

Star Voyager

sandmountainslim

Been playing Star Voyager today and boy it is an addictive little game, I have owned it for weeks but just go around to playing it today, I still havent figured out the purpose of the missiles fired from the #2 joystick yet as far as I can tell they just use up all your energy and I do just fine only using stick #1. Anyone have any insight or musings on this game? I think I will go ahead and declare it one of my favourites.

Funny, there's no mention in the manual that joystick 2 fire is supposed to do anything in a one player game. According to the manual, you select your weapons via the right difficulty switch: A: Lasers, B: Photon Torpedoes.

Perhaps this is an undocumented feature where in a one player game, stick 2 fire will fire your secondary weapon...

I was a good player and used lasers fine. The trick is Lasers can kill enemies all along it's path in that split second, wheras the missile has to travel to hit the opponent. Yeah you have to get good at the missiles, but they come into play only when you don't have enough energy for lasers :D

I actually never owned Star Voyager back in the day. Playing it in emulation, I see that I really missed something. Starmaster's gameplay was a lot stiffer. The ships only moved at the same angles, making it easier to line them up in your crosshair.

Of course, Star Voyager and Starmaster look like Pong compared to Phaser Patrol. :)

Star Voyager is a long time personal favorite (as you might be able to tell from my avatar - love that Star Wars-inspired box art!) No, it doesn't have the depth of Starmaster or Phaser Patrol, but it does offer a very nice arcade style shoot-em-up.

Like it's modern homebrew "cousin" Star Fire, it allows you to enjoy some outer space action without all that fussing around with starbases and power management.

For me, I enjoy using the lasers for the first few rounds, but to succeed at the higher levels, it was always necessary for me to switch to missiles.

Oh yeah one more thing, does this game have an actual ending or just repeat over and over? The manual speaks of saving the capital starport but I didnt know if that was actually part of the game or just part of the story, as you guessed I havent mastered it enough to know the answer to this.

My friend and I would play it two player. One piloting and firing missile and the other the lasers. In the higher levels would would run out of energy rather quickly since they throw more and more enemies at you. so we did a lot of running. Now I could have sworn there are like 10 stargate you ahd to go through and after the last one it gave you a rank if you didn't die.

• 2 weeks later...