IGNORED

Unlisted "Mouse Trap" cartridge - how rare is this

Mental Vortex

Hi there. Long time Atari player since...well about as long as I can remember! Grew up in the late 70s with all the classic consoles and their games. We had an Intellivision, but as most of you know, you always had a friend that had all the Atari games. My brother and I started collecting the classic consoles and games since the early 90s and haven't stopped since.

I took a look at the cartridge listings here, and was happy to see all the label variations as well. My wife's parents recently gave us their old Atari system, with games (got a Deadly Duck out of it, yahoo!). One of the duplicates that I now have as a result is Coleco's "Mouse Trap", but when I compared her copy to mine, I noticed something I forgot about until now.

Her copy is the regular Coleco version that's listed on here. However, mine is not. In fact, it's not even listed on this site! I picked this up at a flea market in Buffalo sometime in the mid 90s, and it appears that it came with, of all things, the Coleco Gemini system. Anyone else seen this, have this, or have any idea if it's a find? I'd love to know.

post-6427-1108474154_thumb.jpg

post-6427-1108474155_thumb.jpg

post-6427-1108474156_thumb.jpg

It's one of the carts used as a pack-in with the Gemini console. There are many threads about this cart in the forum. Use search with the terms "Mouse Trap Gemini" and you'll find all your questions answered :)

Just in case, here are some relevant threads i found:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...use+trap+gemini

To sum up: Gemini was released with a variety of pack-ins.

The VERY FIRST edition came with Donkey Kong and Mouse Trap. There's some dispute over this, but my best friend at the time got a Gemini upon release and both were included. In later years, carts such as Carnival or vVenture were stuck inside.

To sum up: Gemini was released with a variety of pack-ins.

The VERY FIRST edition came with Donkey Kong and Mouse Trap. There's some dispute over this, but my best friend at the time got a Gemini upon release and both were included. In later years, carts such as Carnival or vVenture were stuck inside.

To the best of my knowledge, the only two releases I know of were the original that came with Donkey Kong and Mouse Trap, and then a later release that added Carnival into the mix. I don't remember any coming with Venture, though perhaps regionality might have led Coleco to add a different pack-in depending on where it was released.

There are also reports of Donkey Kong only. I myself have only witnessed the DK/Mouse Trap and Carnival editions.

It's funny, for the longest time I only recall having gotten the Gemini with Donkey Kong only, but I also know I had Mouse Trap, and I don't remember having gotten that in a separate box, so I may indeed have gotten the 2-pack. I do think it was also released only with DK at some point, though.

Are we talking the regular Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr here? I'm asking simply because I picked up a Gemini in a thrift store last year, and the game that came with it (complete with 'Bonus Cartridge included with Gemini' sticker on the back) was Donkey Kong Jr.

Are we talking the regular Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr here?  I'm asking simply because I picked up a Gemini in a thrift store last year, and the game that came with it (complete with 'Bonus Cartridge included with Gemini' sticker on the back) was Donkey Kong Jr.

I've never known a Gemini to come with DKJr. All of the ones I'm aware of came with DK as a primary pack-in. But as I said they may have released slightly different bundles in different areas.

Are we talking the regular Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Jr here?  I'm asking simply because I picked up a Gemini in a thrift store last year, and the game that came with it (complete with 'Bonus Cartridge included with Gemini' sticker on the back) was Donkey Kong Jr.

I've never known a Gemini to come with DKJr. All of the ones I'm aware of came with DK as a primary pack-in. But as I said they may have released slightly different bundles in different areas.

Thanks for the info! I wonder if it was a Canadian-specific release? Anyone else seen a copy of DK Jr with Gemini Pack-in sticker on the back?

Thanks for the info!  I wonder if it was a Canadian-specific release?  Anyone else seen a copy of DK Jr with Gemini Pack-in sticker on the back?

I doubt it was Canadian - or at least not in Ontario. My father bought my Gemini at Consumer's Distributing in Toronto back in 1982, and it came with DK and Mouse Trap.

It's not listed because Albert hasn't gotten into a detailed variation list. We've been throwing the idea around now for a few months, and if I can ever get back to finishing the variation list, it may go forward. Maybe I'll work on it this weekend since I have the extra day. I told my wife we needed to clean up some though. :)

Anyway, if you want to see variations of the carts, my list currently has the Coleco carts included and mentions DK, DK Jr, Mouse Trap, and possibly Venture, though I have a ? on that one since I haven't confirmed it. DK jr. also has a ? since I have not personally seen one, but was listed previously by someone else. DK I own so I know it exists.

http://gpdcomics.tripod.com/id74.html

Phil

OK, no problem. Mine is listed on your list. I know there are a LOT of label variations out there, as I go back to the days of the old label variation list that was out on Usenet for quite a while. Just wanted to contribute what I had in case no one else had yet. I didn't think it was THAT rare, but I'm glad to know what the deal is with this version.

Thanks for the info!  I wonder if it was a Canadian-specific release?  Anyone else seen a copy of DK Jr with Gemini Pack-in sticker on the back?

My childhood friend got a Gemini new "back in the day". It had 3 pack in games: DK, DKjr, and Mouse Trap. All 3 have the bilingual label on the back. When I started collecting 2600 he gave me all his games, so I currently have all 3 of these carts. This set was bought in Alberta (Canada).

Long story short: I can confirm the DKjr pack-in cart with sticker.

Interesting stuff here. I had no idea about any of the games that came with the Gemini besides Mouse Trap. I guess it made sense that DK came with it since it was their big name game at the time.

As a result of my discovery, I started going through all my 2600 games last night and sure enough I already found a few more label variations that aren't listed on the rarity list. My Dig Dug is copyrighted 1983 (not a big deal probably) but my copy of Enduro has text in FIVE different languages! Everything is in English and French (perhaps a Canadian cart?) but the line "for one player using joystick" or whatever it says is in the following languages:

English

French

German

Italian

Spanish

I can put a scan up tonight if anyone wants to see it. Again, no idea if it's worth anything, but should be included somewhere on here.

my copy of Enduro has text in FIVE different languages! Everything is in English and French (perhaps a Canadian cart?) but the line "for one player using joystick" or whatever it says is in the following languages:

English

French

German

Italian

Spanish

Welcome to PAL country. :)

Is it this kind of thing....?

http://axtelius.se/palimages/151.jpg

The colours will be wrong, and the screen may or may not roll, but it will work. The incompatibility between PAL and NTSC 7800s only goes for 7800 games - 2600 games the 7800 is just like a normal 2600.

Best thing to do is to compare it with a known NTSC cart or an emulator or AtariAge screenshot.