IGNORED

Atari with Genesis controllers

sandmountainslim

Hello All, I had read where Genesis controllers would work with the VCS and hooked mine up to try it out, it works fine on some games but others like Beamrider , Robot Tank and a few others it either will not work at all or just fires constantly as is the case with Robot Tank. Is this true with all Genesis controllers or could there be something wrong with mine?

I think it is the way the genesis controllers are wired. They will not work with thrust either if I recall correctly.

But the colecovision controller on the other hand will work with BOTH buttons on omega race without the booster grip (although you can't use them both at the same time) again, it is probably just the way they are wired.

Most of the games I tried on the 2600 with the 3-button Sega game pad I had worked fine. The only one that didn't was Astroblast, which I guessed was because you could use either the joystick or paddle controllers and it got confused as a result. It worked fine in my 7800 as well although you couldn't access the second button.

I opened my genny 3-button's. I cut off the IC chip and followed out the traces for the buttons. Used the Atari schematic to wire the controller end correctly. I had to place some jumpers and cut some traces if I remember. I made all the buttons the "fire" button. I got it backwards a couple times (I made 3 all told) so left was right and vice versa. This just makes it electricaly the same as an atari controller. I didnt look up the IC to see what it was I just cut off.

The Genesis controller has three buttons more than the Atari joystick does. (Note I am counting Up, Down, left and Right as separate buttons.) However, it must assign all the buttons to the same number of pins, 9. The Genesis controller multiplexes two buttons on several of the wires. (Up and Down have their own wires and Left and Right are not really multiplexed.) I believe that is why the controller does not work correctly with some games.

I've tried using Genesis controllers on my Atari 2600 a few times, and it worked fine for the most part. However, I don't recommend using High Frequency controllers (some 6-button controllers are like that) since they can cause the game to act screwy. It happened when I was playing Dodge 'Em with a High Frequency controller, my car started going full speed without me touching the button, and it wouldn't respond to my controls.