IGNORED

2600 connect to a tv tuner card on PC?

Dan Iacovelli

I just got a tv tuner card for my PC, I am wondering if it's possible to connect the 2600 to it(Ithink theres a coax connection on the card).

If it is possible it might push me ahead on my 2600 programing(testing it on a real system using a supercharger on the 2600(ie make the bin then turn to wav file and play it thru my speaker connected to my supercahrger on 2600)

any thoughts

Yeah, if your video card has composite video in (or even better, S-Video) you'll get a much better picture if you modify your console to match that than to use the RF connection + TV tuner.

I'm just finishing up development of a new composite mod that should have quality near or better than that of the CD4050 mod, but without the CD4050 chip (and no, it's not the version where you replace the CD4050 with jumper wires). It will have exactly the same colors as the RF out, no sync problems, and will not have or need any adjustments other than a possible slight tweak to the chroma delay pot that's already on the 2600 boards. I'm including the option to make use of the TIA blanking signal from pin 6 that is unconnected on most (all?) 2600s, which may improve brightness and sync for some users.

I just got a tv tuner card for my PC, I am wondering if it's possible to connect the 2600 to it(Ithink theres a coax connection on the card).

If it is possible it might push me ahead on my 2600 programing(testing it on a real system using a supercharger on the 2600(ie make the bin then turn to wav file and play it thru my speaker connected to my supercahrger on 2600)

any thoughts

I use a capture card to display output from my Atari running my proggies on a Krokodile Cart. It's the only way I do all my development these days (since emulators don't handle the bankswitch mode I use). I find that the quality of picture depends on where I snake the RF cable -- but it's really quite good overall, and the best thing is I can direct-capture MPG files through the video card software. Nice!

In summary, compile, download through serial to KK, power-cycle the '2600, see the result on my desktop in a window displaying actual output from an actual '2600. Can't be beat :)

Cheers

A

• 3 weeks later...

sucess, after a couple of tries I found that the brightness on card was default to dark pic(in the center) had to adjust itand now Ican play and test 2600 on the actual system (plus I still keep it connected to my tv to see it play on an actual tv) now I just have to move my 2600 to computer to plug in the supercharger and my advdantures in programing will begin.

the last time I tried a game out on my ATI All-In-Wonder 8500 card, there was some odd lag. I can't remember if the video lagged the audio or the other way around. All I know is that something just wasn't quite right...

I never did find any information about the problem.