IGNORED

Heavy Sixer Question????

kidsconnection

I am rather New to all things Atari!! I Have a question I found an Original Atari Made in SunnyVale, CA It was still in the box So I bought it I got home and opened it up and Found a few things wrong with the system. So in an effort to retrieve my buying cost back on it, 2 joysticks and 1 set of paddles were still in the box, By the way this is all Brand New. How can I make sure that these are the original controllers for the system. Someone once told me something about the tennis rackets on the paddles but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. How can you tell the joysticks apart from original to later year joysticks.... The only thing wrong with the system itself is the plastic guard around the controller ports were broken off. Such a shame you can't just pop on new ones...

It is possible to get a heavy sixer with the newer style (cheaper) joysticks and paddles, as mine did. My heavy was made in july of 78 and I got it for christmas the same year. Came with the paddles that says "Paddle" instead of "atari" and the newer el-cheap-o joysticks.

I am rather New to all things Atari!!

Me too, but I've learned a lot already.

I found an Original Atari Made in SunnyVale, CA It was still in the box So I bought it [...] 2 joysticks and 1 set of paddles were still in the box, By the way this is all Brand New. How can I make sure that these are the original controllers for the system.

Well if it was really new in a sealed box, they must be the right ones! :P

Someone once told me something about the tennis rackets on the paddles but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

The earliest paddle controllers did not have the word "paddle" on them, they had the Atari (or Sears) logo instead, but as a previous poster said, not all heavy sixers came with the early style controllers. I think all boxed systems did only come with 1 pair of paddle controllers though.

How can you tell the joysticks apart from original to later year joysticks.

The earliest joysticks (CX-10) have a different feel since they are spring-loaded, some of them have a metal hex disc on the top of the the stick saying "Atari" (or "Sears") (even the ones without the hex disc still have a recess for it molded into the top of the rubber boot), and the screw heads on the bottom are set in very shallow compared to the later sticks. If the screws are tight and you can touch (or almost touch) the top of the screw with the tip of your little finger, it's the early style.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

By the way this is all Brand New. How can I make sure that these are the original controllers for the system. Someone once told me something about the tennis rackets on the paddles but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. How can you tell the joysticks apart from original to later year joysticks.... The only thing wrong with the system itself is the plastic guard around the controller ports were broken off. Such a shame you can't just pop on new ones...

The pics you posted in another thread ID this as a light sixer, not a heavy sixer, so I'm sure you got the right joysticks. It's probably worth about what you're selling it for, though... but it is not a heavy sixer.

This is what a heavy sixer looks like:

http://www.gamerzuniverse.net/atari/images...es/atarihs2.jpg

This is what a light sixer looks like:

http://www.vidgame.net/ATARI/Atari/2600/at...ri_2600_six.jpg

The easy way to tell the difference is the thickness of the plastic around the outer edges, and the fact that the heavy has a slightly rounded bottom base with a curved edge, whereas the light model has a totally flat bottom base with hard angled edges.