IGNORED

Atari 2800 - pictures posted - need components

TomBrazil

Hello Guys,

I just have in my hands this unusual an rare console, the japanese 2800 console, I was told it is also known as "The Sears Telegames II".

I'm posting pictures, and wonder how much is it worth, since I never saw one of these in e-bay. Also, DP rates this as an 8/10 rarity and $$$ price scale, so.... How much is $$$?

Of course, the console its not perfect, thats why I'm also posting this. I need the schematic diagram or part-list of this fine console, because some stupid mind took out 5 chips (see pictures). Can you believe?

Also, does anyone know how would one use 4 controls? Isn't this 2600 compatible?

post-6332-1108905388_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1108905389_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1108905390_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1108905391_thumb.jpg

post-6332-1108905392_thumb.jpg

The 2800 is 2600 compatible. The reason it has four controller ports is because the controllers were redesigned to accomodate a paddle being built into each joystick. If you need parts, you might check http://www.best-electronics-ca.com - Last time I checked, they had parts for the Sears Video Arcade II in their catalog, so I imagine that you won't have any trouble finding the parts you are looking for if you go through them.

I just have in my hands this unusual an rare console, the japanese 2800 console, I was told it is also known as "The Sears Telegames II".

I'm posting pictures, and wonder how much is it worth, since I never saw one of these in e-bay. Also, DP rates this as an 8/10 rarity and $$$ price scale, so.... How much is $$$?

Only 8/10?? It's gotta be higher than that.

Several hundred dollars is what it's worth. How many several probably depends on the completeness, the condition, etc. Yours might be on the low end but I'd think still at least around $150-$200. That's just my own really rough estimate, though; you're usually lucky to get one of these things for less than $400 if you can find one. (I have honestly never seen one in all my travels, on Ebay, in the wild, in both the US and Japan.)

It's a hell of a lot rarer than the promo 2600 you also posted last night. It's the only legitimately rare commercially released Atari console IMO. Only some of the unreleased prototypes of other systems are rarer.

Of course, the console its not perfect, thats why I'm also posting this. I need the schematic diagram or part-list of this fine console, because some stupid mind took out 5 chips (see pictures). Can you believe?

Pick up a used Sears Video Arcade II on Ebay. They go for around $10. They're the exact same console. Remove the chips from it and replace them on the 2800.

Pick up a used Sears Video Arcade II on Ebay.  They go for around $10.  They're the exact same console.  Remove the chips from it and replace them on the 2800.

Man, thanx for your entire mail, very useful. This last hint alone, is sure very helpful. If I consider trade it, I'll talk to you first. Thank you so much.

Do joysticks three and four work on this thing? I assume they must and the extra hardware must determine to whether to send paddle or joystick inputs to the TIA and RIOT chips. But the Atari would need a second TIA and RIOT chip to handle extra joysticks unless the signals were multiplexed with joysticks one and two.

Do joysticks three and four work on this thing?  I assume they must and the extra hardware must determine to whether to send paddle or joystick inputs to the TIA and RIOT chips.  But the Atari would need a second TIA and RIOT chip to handle extra joysticks unless the signals were multiplexed with joysticks one and two.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to test it as soon as I get this system to work. And, I'm going to! I'll probably post more in the future...

Do joysticks three and four work on this thing? I assume they must and the extra hardware must determine to whether to send paddle or joystick inputs to the TIA and RIOT chips. But the Atari would need a second TIA and RIOT chip to handle extra joysticks unless the signals were multiplexed with joysticks one and two.

I always assumed that paddles three and four work (just like on a regular 2600), while joysticks three and four do not (they are unwired).

Also, I'm not sure what extra hardware you are refering to. There is a switch on the top that selects joysticks or paddles. I think this is the only extra hardware there is.

You seem to be saying that the 2800 is some sort of "super 2600". It has always been my understanding that it is merely an 2600 in a new case with a slight reconfiguration of the joystick/paddle wiring using a switch.

The extra hardware I am referring to is those five empty IC sockets sitting between the 2600 core and the controller ports.  What are those ICs there for?  I assume they control whether the joystick or the paddle is read.

Yep, I'm certain they're CMOS switch ICs, pretty common. Probably a 4053 or something. If I feel like digging an SVGA2 out of the garage, I can look and see.

The 2800 has 4 controller ports but two of them are for paddles only. The idea is that you get another couple of 2800 controllers (which are paddles and joysticks built in) and then you can play Warlords. At least, I think that's the idea (from memory)

There's no room in the chipset for 4 seperate controllers, unfortunately!

2800s are cool... I paid a few hundred quid for mine (that's about $350) and I have one boxed game for it which also set me back about $40 I think! :)

I think it's the best looking Atari.. gotta love those red lights... and looks great next to a 7800.

Pick up a used Sears Video Arcade II on Ebay.  They go for around $10.  They're the exact same console.  Remove the chips from it and replace them on the 2800.

You posted about a Sears Video Arcade II- those aren't worth much, and I just don't know why DP has persisted in keeping it at an 8/10. I'll give it a 6 on a bad day, maybe even a 5. The value is only around $10-$25 depending on completeness. I consider SVA's garbage, as despite their rarity, folks just don't care about them in general on eBay. Collectors like us dig 'em, but supply far outstrips demand.

A true blue Atari 2800, although only a badge away from the SVAII is worth quite a bit more- I'd say around $75-$150 loose with controllers, or $125-$200 or more complete in box.

A true blue Atari 2800, although only a badge away from the SVAII is worth quite a bit more- I'd say around $75-$150 loose with controllers, or $125-$200 or more complete in box.

$200 for a CIB 2800? If you can find them, I'll take 10! At $125 I'll take 50! :)

(and flog them at twice that without too much trouble...)

The 2800 is very sought after and rare as well... $75 would just about buy you a woodgrain 6-switcher over here in the UK....

Ian, we know each other and I dont mean to disrespect you. But you do have a way to lessen other people's stuff, which I dont think is nice. See this quote:

Several hundred dollars is what it's worth. How many several probably depends on the completeness, the condition, etc. Yours might be on the low end but I'd think still at least around $150-$200. That's just my own really rough estimate, though; you're usually lucky to get one of these things for less than $400 if you can find one. (I have honestly never seen one in all my travels, on Ebay, in the wild, in both the US and Japan.)

Afterall, if you really think DP is not an accurate guide, so complain to them. You never seem to agree with their judgement, but, to be honest, run a completed listing search on e-bay, and you will see there is not even one 2800 listed. This is the only console I was able to see in years. Very rare stuff indeed, and by any chance it is worth your estimate, and I dare someone to find one of this boxed.

And, of course, I plan to repair it properly....