IGNORED

Using original controllers on PC

loup

I'm planning on making a controller adapter for my computer. I think I'm going to go with PPJoy for the driver. The interfaces that I am currently concidering are the Amiga 4 player, the TurboGraFX (well, not so much this one,) and the Linux GameCon.

What I want to know is, what are other people's thoughts on this, what do you prefer, is there something even better out there that I just don't know about.

Any help you can give is much appreciated.

You're probably right about the shipping cost, but when I went to "check out" after putting the joystick in my cart, there was a "what is this?" link in the shipping options box where it said "super shaver shipping" is $4.50, so I chose it. Then I entered my address and my total came out to $9.50. That about explains it!

Ok, so now I have one of those Red Octane classic joysticks. It's pretty cool. From a casual glance, it really does look like an original Atari CX40. However, the button bigger, redder and rounded (like on a Gemstick, if you remember those).

The stick works pretty well for $9.50 (including shipping). No drivers needed -- just recognized as "USB GAMEPAD." Unfortunately, the fire button registers as button 2 instead of button 1 (or button 1 instead of button 0, depending on your perspective). That was not a problem for MAME or Atari800Win. I didn't try it with a 2600 emulator yet.

It feels very similar in your hands to an original -- right down to the rubber boot. The feel while operating it is a little stiff, and would take some getting used to. It also feels a little fragile compared to the real thing, but it may be my imagination. Its construction and design is so close in appearance to the original, that it leads me to wonder if the board inside could be transplanted into an original CX40 casing, in order to have an even MORE authentic feel.

At any rate, it's a nice way to get a classic game controller on your PC without the use of awkward adapters.

Its construction and design is so close in appearance to the original, that it leads me to wonder if the board inside could be transplanted into an original CX40 casing, in order to have an even MORE authentic feel.

Actually, that's a good idea. I bought one of those Red Octane joysticks back when they were charging $20 for them, but then they came with the old Activision Action-Pack that came out years ago. The button on mine gets stuck, so I don't really use it. But if I could transplant the USB board into an Atari CX-40, I won't have that problem.