IGNORED

Is a heavy sixer worth it?

koward

I was reading some old postings on the forum and was wondering does the heavy sixer really improve picture quality enough to make a difference. I know they look like bad mofo's but I was just wondering. I am on a collision course with purchasing one because you know one has got to have every model right. If anyone does have one to part with pm me. Just wondering.

I don't have the first clue what A/V modding is. I am just now starting to collect and haven't even looked inside of anything besides my Coleco Gemini. From what I see the atari looks more complicated. Right now I have a Vader and a 4 switch woody on the way. Wich would you recommend. Is this something that I should even be messing with as a newbie. Any help is awesome.

Unless you find a great deal on a heavy sixer, the amount you'll have to pay is NOT worth it imho. From a collectors standpoint you'll have to have one eventually, but from a players standpoint there are a lot better 2600 related items/games/homebrews to spend your money on.

With that said, I admittedly own 3 myself but I resell stuff too so it doesn't really count. :)

If you watch on eBay, you might find one at a good deal. I just picked one up couple weeks back for $11.50 plus $5.50 shipping. He labeled it Super Sixer, but couldn't beat the price. Included joysticks, ps, etc.

But they are right, if you are looking for something to play on, upgrade one of your others with the a/v mod.

Corey

I think they are worth it from a collectors point of view.

I love mine, and it's the one I keep plugged in and play because I think

it looks the best.

For me, personally, the heavy sixer is a must for an Atari collector anyway.

As for a price, you really can get them cheap on ebay.

I got mine for under $20 as well. The trick is to look at all the atari

system auctions. Ones that have no description other than Atari 2600 system.

I found mine (system and joystick only) listed as 'Atari 2600 system'.

Looking at the pictures, you can tell if it is a true heavy sixer.

The auctions listed as 'Heavy Sixer' that are legit sell for a lot more usually.

I was lucky and got an original joystick (no hex disc though).

As for a price, you really can get them cheap on ebay.

I got mine for under $20 as well.  The trick is to look at all the atari

system auctions.  Ones that have no description other than Atari 2600 system.  

Yeah, mine is a Sears model, but it's boxed, has ALL the original parts (well, no hex discs, but both orig. joysticks, orig. paddles, orig. grey power supply), and cost me under $20 too using the same trick you did. Mine was just listed as a "Sears Atari 2600" I think, with a couple really blurry pics. I wasn't even sure it was a heavy sixer but it looked like it was, and it was.

Ebay has its equivalent of back alleys just like any town or city... you just have to poke your head in everywhere, and stay off the beaten path. Not everybody knows what they're selling, even today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

$9.99 right now, 2 days left.  No mention of it being a heavy sixer, but it is...

Looks good, I like the looks of the Sears systems better anyway.

Seller has good feedback and states it's in good working order.

Shipping is Very Low! (under 10 to me) and it's ups so it's insured.

You'd better bid before I do ;)

As for A/V modding, I have to leave japan in a month. But, once I get to texas, I'll be more than glad to A/V mod an atari for ya. i got some spare resistors. A lil thing though, sometimes its dark on some tv's, so if you have that problem, just take it through a vcr and you'll be good.

Looks good, I like the looks of the Sears systems better anyway.

Seller has good feedback and states it's in good working order.

Shipping is Very Low! (under 10 to me) and it's ups so it's insured.

You'd better bid before I do  ;)

I don't need it, but thought someone else might be interested :)

I do like the Sears storage case that it comes with, though.

If anyone's interested, there's also an Atari model up there too, for $5 right now with under a day left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...8171960829&rd=1

Looks like no sticks but what do you want for $5??

(I saw another one last night for $19.99, but can't find it again now.)

Augh. I just bought that one you listed off of eBay. I placed $50 as the max bid thinking it wouldn't go that high. Some guy drove it up to $46 in the last minute though. So, it looks like I get it for $56 (including the shipping price).

Oh well...I don't have a heavy and want to collect them. Plus, I am getting $1300 back from the Feds for taxes, so I have some money to go hog wild (bought a Mac mini, Lynx, and DOA Ultimate for XBox already!).

Yes yes and yes again. The Heavy sixer is totally worth it. It improves the picture quality 1000 fold and you just can't beat the look. Of course then again I only paid 3 dollars each for both of mine. They were at a Gamestore in Syracuse both VCS and Telegames Model. THey were so cheap because they didn't have their RF units.

Do both - A/V mod your Heavy Sixer! Probably not recommended unless you know what you're doing and your Atari isn't perfect, though... a perfect one should be kept pure.

For myself I spent $5 on it.... it was sold as "non-working" because of an intermittent signal, so approximately 5 seconds of re-soldering the power socket later, I had a fully working Heavy Sixer ready for modding. The picture quality is definitely the best I've seen of any real Atari, and because I repaired the Atari in the first place I could justify tacking a few extra wires onto it (the mod is completely reversible). The colours are just so nice! :)

It is - of course - now my main 2600.