IGNORED

I jus bought a lynx, wat games should i get?

AtariLynx

Congratulations! Lynx is a great console! Athough there are a lot of not so good games, there are more than enough good ones! Heres some of my favourites:

-Chips Challenge (149 levels of mindfrying puzzles)

-Crystal mines (not so unlike chips challenge)

.California games

-Klax ( a must have, one of the coolest

-Hydra (a cheap but fun game)

-Xenophobe

Oh man, there are SO many good Lynx games. My favorites include Klax, Rampart, Ms. Pac-Man, Super Skweek, Xybots, Crystal Mines II, Ninja Gaiden, Rygar, Road Blasters, STUN Runner... there are so many more. Then there are some great arcade classics like Joust and Double Dragon which I don't have the pleasure of owning.

I think the list for bad games is probably much shorter than the list of good games...

My personal favs are Rampart, Robotron 2084, Xenophobe, Rygar, and I wish I had Toki. In fact, most of the arcade ports are excellent, even Steel Talons, when you consider the original.

Of course, Tournament Cyberball is the exception - get it only if you are a collector (the poster is cool though).

There are then the original Epyx games which are excellent too, like Cal. Games, Blue Thunder and Chips Challenge.

In fact, get 'em all!

Back in the day, I got a Lynx for the two arcade games I loved that weren't available anywhere else.

A.P.B. All Points Bulletin

Help Officer Bob round up enough tickets to get through the day. Pull over honkers, speeders, hookers, potheads, and other criminals. Innovative controls and a nice use of sound.

S.T.U.N. Runner

Fly through the sewer system at the speed of sound. Shoot the trams and other cars along the way. Get big air jumping over ramps, pick up special weapons along the way. Predates Wipeout for the Playstation by a good four years.

APB is on Midway Arcade Classics 2 in decent form (and much higher resolution than the Lynx). STUN Runner will be on Volume 3, hopefully arcade-perfect.

I can't think of any other Lynx exclusives that would turn me on today. Between Midway Arcade and MAME, the arcade ports are covered. Stuff like Dracula Unleashed, Food Fight, and Batman Returns haven't aged well.

I can't think of any other Lynx exclusives that would turn me on today.  Between Midway Arcade and MAME, the arcade ports are covered.  Stuff like Dracula Unleashed, Food Fight, and Batman Returns haven't aged well.

All of the original Epyx releases (Electrocop, Chip's Challenge, Blue Lightning, Gates of Zendocon) are excellent games that still hold up well with modern releases. The Lynx is worth buying just for these gems.

And Alpine Games showed that the Lynx still has the power to be competitive with the GBA. I hate sports games myself, but AG is a superb technical achievement.

I can't think of any other Lynx exclusives that would turn me on today.  Between Midway Arcade and MAME, the arcade ports are covered.  Stuff like Dracula Unleashed, Food Fight, and Batman Returns haven't aged well.

All of the original Epyx releases (Electrocop, Chip's Challenge, Blue Lightning, Gates of Zendocon) are excellent games that still hold up well with modern releases. The Lynx is worth buying just for these gems.

Yeah, you're right ...forgot about those early scaling titles that really used the hardware. Why is it that launch titles are often the most innovative of anything that ever comes out on a game system?

Yeah, you're right ...forgot about those early scaling titles that really used the hardware. Why is it that launch titles are often the most innovative of anything that ever comes out on a game system?

Economics and marketing. Companies typically place great amounts of time, energy, and money into their launch titles because they know that they function as advertising for the system. Epyx didn't really have any marquee titles (exception: "California Games"), and they had to try something new for the Lynx. Atari, on the other hand, really had to lean on its licensing agreements with Atari Games to bulk up its library with recognizable titles. The result was a library stacked with stellar arcade ports, but few interesting, innovative titles.

Another good exclusive is Ninja Gaiden. Its the direct arcade port, as you know, and no other system has had the arcade version of the game. The Genesis had a very LOOSE port of the arcade in Japan, but it technically wasn't a port as it was a different game...just inspired by the arcade version. Thats the next Lynx game I am going to pick up, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

There's another recent thread in here about Odyssey 2, and someone pointed out that one guy did over half the games for that jurassic console.

There's something similar about the Lynx -- I can point to one guy who has reviewed every game on the handheld: the mighty Robert Jung. Check out his reviews at http://www.digiserve.com/eescape/atari/Atari.shtml