IGNORED

Rarity 9

jeves17

Since you used the word "chuffed" I'm guessing yours is PAL.  :ponder:  

Still an R7 though. Congrats!

how did u guess it was pal lol r7 yeah still happy dident even know got a bundle of games for free from a mate not bad

"Well Chuffed" isn't a term that's used in North America, so he assumed, as did I, that you are in Great Britain. As far a I know that's a term that's used only by the Brits.

-S

And is "taking the piss" the same as a "piss take", and what does "taking the piss" mean, anyhow?

As far as I gathered "taking the piss" means getting drunk - As far as the US goes, "taking A piss" is the act of urinating(usually after a few beers and near your buddy's car door while he's not looking)

:|

"Taking the piss" means making fun of someone: having a joke at their expense.

"Taking a piss" means urinating

A "Piss take" is a comedy sketch which "takes the piss" out of someone or something.

"Pants" are what you wear under your trousers. These can also be known as under-pants or skivvies.

"Pants" has, in recent times, been used to describe something which is of poor quality, vis: That concert was really pants.

Nobody, apart from our lexicographically bygone friend here, says "chuffed" or "cack".

Nobody, apart from our lexicographically bygone friend here, says "chuffed" or "cack".

That's interesting. Being into British cars, I spend a lot of time on forums with a lot of British members. "chuffed" gets used pretty frequently. Maybe car hobbiests are just a little more old fashioned than video game hobbiests.

-S

"Going out on the piss" means having a night out with one too many beers, probably losing your shoes in an improbable tree incident, running from the police, throwing a beer can at some ducks then trying to get off with a girl who wouldn't look twice if you were sober, didn't smell like a public toilet and had your trousers correctly fastened.

At least, that pretty much describes my saturday nights.

Here is a question I have had for a while:

Do we get the word 'piss' or 'take a piss' from that Mannequin Piss boy from Brussels.  Who put out a cannon in this way?  

(I could be mistaken but that is what I heard).

No. Although I have a replica Pissing Boy statue. :) I'm fairly certain the original source of the word was onomatopoeic, just as "tinkle" is. Only with the ground as the point of contact as opposed to modern porcelain.

I'm still looking for that Spinal Tap 2600 game.  It's an R11.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Is he taking the piss? I think he's taking the piss."

The commentary on the This is Spinal Tap DVD is almost as funny as the movie itself.

-S

Oh, no question. It's almost like getting another movie!

"Did Viv ever know his microphone was turned off?" :lol:

You're having a larf, mate.

I assure you that both of those words (although particularly the former) are in usage. The latter is, admittedly, a little dated, but still used I think. "Chuffed" goes back years and is unlikely to die out any time soon.

The thing to remember is that although the UK is a load smaller than the US, we actually have probably more variance in our lingo according to our location. Not so surprising when one considers the various origins of each county.. for instance, Mercia being a different kingdom originally to Wessex. This is why people from seemingly similar counties (i.e. Yorkshire and Lancashire) will traditionally hate each other on the really important days of the year, for instance, a Cricket match.

Either way, I'd say that while some words go out of fashion in one area of the country, many are so firmly rooted in the English language that by the time it's out of favour in another area, it's back in common usage again in the first one.

The Spinal Tap commentary is a riot!

I like when they mentioned ebay a few times, when they showed that double bass & mentioned email & internet music mp3dps :lol: Still caught up in the spirit of their characters years after the movie. I think This is the best commentary ever!

Oh & in keeping with the topic of this thread,

What boxed Atari 2600 rarity can be seen in the background on one of the store shelves in the movie?

The commentary on the This is Spinal Tap DVD is almost as funny as the movie itself.

Which version? I have the long out of print Criterion version. And the Quicktime CD-ROM version, for that matter. I also have an LD of their second movie (actually a concert film, IIRC), where they get Stonehenge right, but then they can't get it into the concert.

I like when they mentioned ebay a few times, when they showed that double bass & mentioned email & internet music mp3dps :lol:  Still caught up in the spirit of their characters years after the movie.  I think This is the best commentary ever!

I still have a few MP3s I downloaded from tapster.com way back when. (They "borrowed" the mixologists' domain for a few months as a promo, making it into a parody of Napster. They even had a Zappa song mis-labeled as a Tap song!)