IGNORED

California games is too good

Atarifever

How come California games for the 2600 is so unbelieveably great? How come the BMX game is as good as many other complete atari games? Why does foot bag look like something for the 5200? How did Atari fit all 4 of these awesome little, polished games into a 2600 cart? Is there some kind of chip built in like SNES and Genesis did with Starfox and Virtua Racer? Or did the programers just use a little elbow grease and all that was known about the 2600 by that point in time to squeeze the maximum potential out of the game?

California games is awesome. During the Atarilympics, I was able to max out Foot Bag (99999) and Half Pipe (29k, i forget the exact score). Every trick on Half Pipe was a handstand, I never missed one oppertunity to do one and I never fail on any handstand, thus making that the max score.

This brings up a good question.

- You can max out the footbag event.

- You can get the max points for skateboardin'

- I even think you can max out Surfin (there's only like 5-6 tricks, and if you do them enough, you run out of things that give you points

So--- what's the max score possible on BMX?

-John

In regards to surfing, I got 11k on it, and a fellow AA member beat me by like 500 points. I think the max is just over 12k, at least thats what I can remember from TG...

As for BMX, its 74k as 1st place, but I dunno if you can get higher. The most I got was 45k...

I love cali games! First time i played it back in 1989 i was in aw of it. My sister went on a trip somewhere and i asked her to bring me something back. Well we lived in a small town and it was hard to find atari 2600 games there in 1989 so she brought me back california games for the 2600. I was one happy little kid playing that game! At the time i wondered how they could make a 2600 game look like a NES game. :D

Sadly out of the 500 some odd 2600 games I once had, Cali Games was never one of them. Your right about it sort of looking like some 5200 / 8bit graphics mixed up in there (as well as the intro color scrolly going on)

Thanks for the link Greg.... interesting interview. Sounds like good times at Epyx...

Any other screenshots of this game other then the 1 in game shot here on AA?

Of course that excellent game was written by Peter Engelbrite in about 6 weeks. Take that HSW!  :D

But didn't HSW do it by himself? Further down in the article I see

California Games – 2600 was created by two programmers and a musician in 1-½ months.

Plus, about 5 years separated those two games.

I dug this out last night after reading this thread and you're right. It IS a pretty good game! I think I played this on the NES as well when it came out. Anyway, it is a lot of fun, and well written. Always liked the skateboarding part, just to see how high you can get the guy to go up in the air and do a few tricks along the way.

Interesting interview - now if only game makers today would:

A good exercise is to mentally remove all the graphics, sounds, plots, and animations and ask: “Is the underlying game play fun?”

:ponder:

Yeah, but that's kind of an interesting question, because sometimes you can't break a game down like that. "is the joystick waggling fun?" what makes anything "fun"?

Interesting interview - now if only game makers today would:

A good exercise is to mentally remove all the graphics, sounds, plots, and animations and ask: “Is the underlying game play fun?”

:ponder:

Yeah, but that's kind of an interesting question, because sometimes you can't break a game down like that. "is the joystick waggling fun?" what makes anything "fun"?

I assume he's taking a swipe at some of the modern games which rely heavily on pretty graphics and snazzy sound, when when that's stripped away, there's very little game play evident..

joy stick waggling IS fun ;)