IGNORED

sears or actual atari heavy sixer

koward

Officially, they're probably of somewhat equal rarity. From personal eBay experience I see more heavy Sears Video Arcades pop up than genuine Atari heavy sixers. I've owned as many as 3 Sears heavy sixers in my time collecting. I still have yet to score a real Atari heavy sixer (mostly because they tend to fetch 2-3x what the Sears models do on eBay. Probably just because people prefer a real Atari over a rebrand)

To my knowlege they are functionally identical. While I don't patrol Ebay as rabidly as some on here :D . I am waiting on the arrival of my Sears heavy to compare to the heavy 6 I found in the wild. Although, the picture quality on my heavy isn't as good as the picture I see on my jr or 7800. There are several possible answers for that, and my setup is a wreck right now so setting up a proper comparison is moot.

I will say this: my Heavy-6 seems to have a much more vibrant colors in comparison to my other machines, but it also seems more susceptable to picture noise from the sound a lot more too. I'm not sure if that has to do with the design of the unit or that mine is starting to have a failure somewhere.

Hex.

[ Mmmmm.... noodles. ]

Is there any difference in the two as far as fuctioning.  I actually just won one on ebay (sears).  In your opinions is 43.00 with shipping to much.  Maybe so but I wanted one.  Hope to see this quality picture I've heard so much about.

It's a little higher than I've seen them average on eBay; the average I've paid for a heavy Sears unit is about $15-20.

There is no difference in the hardware; the internals are all Atari. Sears only changed the switch bezel and woodgrain panel.

The picture is indeed much nicer than later models. The heavy-duty RF shielding filters out most of the interference, leaving you with a nice, clean picture with more vibrant colours.

Is there any difference in the two as far as fuctioning.  I actually just won one on ebay (sears).  In your opinions is 43.00 with shipping to much.  Maybe so but I wanted one.  Hope to see this quality picture I've heard so much about.

Yes, that's way too high. I don't beieve in free-basing which is what I believe anyone who buys for that much is doing on the side. 8)

Maybe you should just spend a few weeks thinking about what you really want and how you can get it.

Yes, that's way too high.  I don't beieve in free-basing which is what I believe anyone who buys for that much is doing on the side.  8)

I was the one who mentioned the auction that he bid on in the first place (just in passing, not as an auction thread or anything), and I don't think $43 is a bad deal for what he got. He got a mint heavy sixer, a mint Sears-brand official storage unit to go with it (at least it looked mint to me), and a bunch of Sears text-label games and IIRC a couple Sears pic label games too.

Every time somebody buys almost anything around here I see people pop up saying "you overpaid, I bought mine for a buck fifty!" or something. I've been guilty of it too, because I've gotten some really good deals on some things in the past. But you have to realize that really good deals are called that for a reason - you don't find them every day.

With heavy sixer prices hovering around $100 these days on average (from what I've seen, and from what I've actually been quoted from sellers here), I don't think $43 for all he got in the condition it seems to be in is bad at all.

oh and btw, as far as which is more rare, I agree that they're probably both about equal but that Atari models tend to fetch a bit higher prices. I think, though, that that's mostly newbie collectors, because real hardcore collectors either a) have plenty of Atari 2600's already, or b) either don't care about the Sears/Atari distinction (they are both made by Atari, after all, and have the Atari name slapped all over them) or care enough that they have to have both. So I think it's probably newer collectors who are trying to get their hands on a sort-of-special (in their mind) Atari-branded item to show off to their friends that are driving up the prices of Atari-branded heavy sixers.

Yes, that's way too high.  I don't beieve in free-basing which is what I believe anyone who buys for that much is doing on the side.  8)

I was the one who mentioned the auction that he bid on in the first place (just in passing, not as an auction thread or anything), and I don't think $43 is a bad deal for what he got. He got a mint heavy sixer, a mint Sears-brand official storage unit to go with it (at least it looked mint to me), and a bunch of Sears text-label games and IIRC a couple Sears pic label games too.

It was a joke which is why I included the 8) emoticon.

Every time somebody buys almost anything around here I see people pop up saying "you overpaid, I bought mine for a buck fifty!" or something.  I've been guilty of it too, because I've gotten some really good deals on some things in the past.  But you have to realize that really good deals are called that for a reason - you don't find them every day.

Maybe that's because there are on average 10 did I overpay/how'd I do threads around here a day and many people don't even look at them anymore. :ponder:

it doesnt hurt to know what stuff is worth to the new collectors though does it.  Just help us in the future.

There are a lot of people who come here make 2 or 3 posts about a collection they found in grandma's attic or a flea market, try and solicit an idea as to the value then are off to Ebay with it. I'm not saying you're one of those people (it's pretty obvious at this point that you are not) but a lot of people here have grown wary of those kinds of questions.

There are a lot of people who come here make 2 or 3 posts about a collection they found in grandma's attic or a flea market, try and solicit an idea as to the value then are off to Ebay with it.  I'm not saying you're one of those people (it's pretty obvious at this point that you are not) but a lot of people here have grown wary of those kinds of questions.

At least he didn't post a fuzzy picture of a cart pile with a partially-hidden Eli's Ladder and ask how he did. :-)