IGNORED

Smurfs on Kid Vid

Cassidy Nolen

Has anyone else been underwhelmed by this setup? I think the games are halfway decent ideas, but the tapes that go with them stink. Its not even the same voices as the cartoons. Even Transformers commercials back in the day had the cartoon voices. You would think, if you were going to that much trouble to make a system and all for three games, you could get the right voices.

The mixing drinks game looks kind of cool. Could easily have been hacked into a bar game, right? The notes one would be easier if you could try and play actual songs, etc. The "put crap where it goes" has been a theme over and over in games (Pressure Cooker is the highpoint, IIMH).

Just looking for some feedback on this. I think the tape player setup is very neat. The tape stopping and staring via control of the 2600 is cool enough by itself to make this a favorite peripheral (unlike Cosmic Commander....CC=Steaming pile).

Cassidy

Hey man, quit bashing the SSTD game. I had a kid vid when I was a kid and I thought it was so cool. I guess that's why I still love it. The drink mixing game was the one with colors. It teaches you yellow and green make blue. Hey, it's important since I am a graphic artist but I digress... Anyway, I guess there is a special place for the KV and SSTD in my heart.

The controller port is where the module plugs in. When you hook it up, it acts to stop (or allow) the cassette player to work. Brilliant idea, but I do not think much "data" transfers between the two.

I have Bearenstein's too, but its sealed. Maybe one day I'll de-value but enjoy it working, too.

Matt G, I agree. As a kid I totally would have dug on these. Still would have wondered why the voices were off. My 2600 color pot must be way off, because on my system, yellow and blue make purple!!! Seriously, that one is the hardest, because I am guessing what to mix because of my system!

Cassidy

I think parts of the Smurfs game are really fun, the drink game in particular can be a bit challenging. The blocks and the music notes are pretty simple. I don't have the tapes, so I don't know how they sound, but it appears that they are a bit disappointing. Overall, I think its still a neat idea, for kids.

I have tried both games with the audio support in z26 and they are quite un-impressive. I am glad I have never spent any money on these things. Even if they are rare, they are just shelf filler.

I know, since I remember them very well from decoding the control codes for z26. Yuck!!! :woozy:

I wish I were able to comment on the games. Several years ago I found a Kid Vid boxed with both manuals, all the original packing materials and the tapes. Everything except the %@#& Smurf cart! I bought it, but I still anxiously await the day I will be able to play.

i bought smurfs save the day w/ kid vid back in the day, played it for part of a day, and exhausted all there was to play in the game in maybe two hours and was disgusted i immediately returned it and bought the mattel computer module for my inty 2 with the money, which had AWESOME games and rocked. Even with as rare as the kid vid is, I've NEVER attempted to re-aquire one for my collection (tho i will get the carts just to have them,)