IGNORED

Death Derby

devwebcl

I've been prodding the current maintainer of Stella (Stephen Anthony) to add an interactive debugger. If he gets that out the door this year, I'll commit to finishing it, otherwise I'm going to draw the line and hand over the project to someone else, probably Thomas J or Manuel, who could probably finish it in a fraction of the time it will take me.

I just determined that I don't know enough about 6502 assembly to code via trial and error. I really need to single-step and trace through the code otherwise it takes me too long to figure out my mistakes. The more experienced 2600 coders don't get hung up on the basics the way someone like me does.

So the project is not dead nor would I want it to die even if I couldn't finish it.

My intention is to steal the car movement routines from Indy 500 now that there is a fairly readable disassembly. I find the movement in Indy 500 perfect already so there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Once the phyiscs are done the rest of the game should come together pretty quickly. It's really not that complicated a game and the original game didn't even use a real CPU. Any complexity is going to come from additional features or options added to the game to give it more replay value.

Again, it's all contingent on the Stella debugger getting done.