IGNORED

Circus Atari - HACK?

SS

I want to think that it is a hack.  Atariage lists the Zeller's version of Circus Atari as being controlled with a joystick.  Maybe the ROM was dumped from a Zeller's cartridge?

:?

God I love this site.

Probably a year ago, I won Zellers' Circus off Ebay for a few bucks. When I put the cart in, and hit reset, the paddle didn't move the character and the fire button did nothing. I cleaned the hell out of the cart with alcohol, contact spray, even tried the pencil eraser bit. When it still didnt work I emailed the seller and asked if he had tested it like the auction said he did. I never did get a response but for only a few bucks I let it go and didn't email him again.

I kept the cart in my collection...working or not I dont have the heart to throw it away.

After reading this thread I tried the cart again this time with a joystick.

The cart works fine with the joystick.

Un....believeable

Thanks for the info mojo. ;)

Needless to say though, the control sucks ass with the joystick, so it's going right back into its same spot inbetween Challenge and Dragon Treasure. But nice to know the cart works after all!

God I love this site.

Ditto that!

Thanks for the info mojo. ;-)

Naw, don't thank me. Thank SS for calling it into question, Atariage for kicking so much ass, and Google for pulling a nice list to my query for "'Circus Atari' +Joystick". :-)

I'm only an innocent, albeit interested, bystander. I'm glad you kept the cartridge and it works! Maybe the extra attention will move some collectors to seek the Zellers' version more earnestly. :-D

I'm never quite sure how to read those Clonespy results.

So if you compare the original to the hack, there is a 95% agreement but if you compare the hack to the original, it's 98%? Did I read that correctly? Is the 3% difference because extra code was added for the controls?

I'm never quite sure how to read those Clonespy results.  

So if you compare the original to the hack, there is a 95% agreement but if you compare the hack to the original, it's 98%?  Did I read that correctly?

Yup.

Is the 3% difference because extra code was added for the controls?

Probably. But to be sure, you have to look at the disassembly.