IGNORED

7800 vs 2600

zraider

At the risk of sounding really stupid, why would anyone who doesn't already own a 2600 get one over a 7800 when the 7800 can use both carts ? I'm not that familiar with either system so forgive my stupidity, but I just don't see getting a 2600 unless there are some advantages that aren't that obvious.

One reason is that there are a few games that don't work on all 7800, but of course will work on a 2600.

The other reason is for reasons of collectability. Some people just like to have the original systems as collectibles even if they don't actually need them to play games.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by zraider:

At the risk of sounding really stupid, why would anyone who doesn't already own a 2600 get one over a 7800 when the 7800 can use both carts ? I'm not that familiar with either system so forgive my stupidity, but I just don't see getting a 2600 unless there are some advantages that aren't that obvious.

Probably the collectability factor. There are a few 2600 games and peripherals that don't work on some 7800s but not enough to justify getting a 2600 seperately in most cases.

quote:

Originally posted by Nukey Shay:

I think that the cart slot is smaller on the 78 as well (which means you could damage labels forcing them in).

In my experience, it seems that the sides of the cart slot on the 7800 might be narrower, but the top and bottom are wider.

I have had some later (red label) Atari 2600 carts scrape tightly inside my 4-switch woody (top and bottom... and no sick jokes please), but they are fine in the 7800. Then again, I have had some 3rd party 2600 carts that scrape on the sides in the 7800. Seems like Imagic carts are especially bad.

I've had less problems with carts fitting into my 7800 than the 6-switch 2600 overall. The red label carts are no problem. Although some Activision and Imagic games are tough fits, they DO still fit.

The only problems I've had with 2600 carts on the 7800:

Space Shuttle -- screen rolls (known issue)

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back -- cart has some weird springs in it... the physical design probably relies on friction in the 2600 slot... the game POPS OUT of the 7800 slot. I can get the game to turn on if I hold the cartridge in the slot!

quote:

Originally posted by room34:

Star Wars Empire Strikes Back -- cart has some weird springs in it... the physical design probably relies on friction in the 2600 slot... the game POPS OUT of the 7800 slot. I can get the game to turn on if I hold the cartridge in the slot!

Haven't had that problem -- it works fine on mine. In fact, all of my 2600 carts work fine on the 7800 (I've only got around 150 2600 carts, but I'm glad they all work).

Decathlon, Empire, Supercharger, Space Shuttle all work fine on my 7800.

Space War has never worked on my "main" 7800, only my 2600 (I've tried 3 different copies), which I've never seen logged anywhere as a problem game, in any 7800 FAQ. Weird. However, I haven't tested it since I hacked the BIOS, so it may not be confirmable now. Anyone else have Space War issues?

Gracias,

-John K. Harvey